error 1068 - Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping on Local Computer.

Anonymous
2009-11-27T20:42:53+00:00

error 1068 - Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping on Local Computer. ALSO, Windows could not start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service on Local Computer. Peer Networking Identity Manager IS started. All three are set to "automatic" startup. I have an HTPC and my main system, both running Windows 7 Premium 64 bit. The HTPC has all three "Peer" services started but my main PC can only start two of the three services. I have checked and both failed services are logged on to "Local Service"--just as in the HTPC. Both PC's are new builds with very little installed as far as programs are concerned. I have performed a SFC /SCANNOW on my main PC to see if any corrupt files were found--and none were found. So, I am not able to network the two PC's. Other than reinstalling my OS on my main PC, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? By the way, when I try to start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service I receive the error: 0x80630801: 0x80630801 . Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-28T17:16:58+00:00

Hi Warpete,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.

As a work around you may try the following steps and check if that works fine:

Try deleting the file “idstore.sst” under the location: C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking.

Refer the link for similar issue: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/a85eaa65-d73a-4324-ad0c-e9a2c1469bd7

If the above steps do not work, then you may post the issue in TechNet Forums for further assistance from the below link:

Windows 7 TechNet forum -http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd361745.aspx

Swathi B 

  • Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-25T19:06:00+00:00

    I tried this fix but got the message 'access denied'

    So frustrated - I've been trying to solve the peer networking service not running problem all day now with no luck 😡

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-16T07:05:51+00:00

    what if I only have the **C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData**directory, not the rest of it, Im showing hidden files, did a search for idstore.sst but there is no such file, the peer networking grouping service was set to manual, changed that to auto, but I still cant start it, only get error 1068

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-02T09:42:37+00:00

    it working perfectly .. i guess this file was preventing the peer networking services from running which causing the problems with the HomeGroup Settings ..

    thanks so much man :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-02T17:36:56+00:00

    Thanks it`s ok now

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments