Print Spooler Keeps Crashing in Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Anonymous
2009-10-27T23:35:05+00:00

Recently I upgraded my system from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate edition. Although the system overall has been working well, I've been unable to print, let alone view my printers because the print spooler service keeps crashing.

When I try printing in various programs I get an error saying I need to install a printer before printing however when selecting yes to install a printing, I get an error message saying something along the lines of not being able to add the "add printer" dialogue because I the spooler isn't running.

I've tried manually starting the service and rebooting however no matter what I try, the spooler stops running after about 10 or so seconds. On a similar note, I've tried two repair installs but to no avail.

Thanks for any assistance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-28T22:59:03+00:00

Hi xcrunner645,

         Welcome to Windows Answers Community Forums

•         This behavior occurs if existed printer drivers are corrupt.

     I suggest that you remove all the installed printers and reinstall the Windows 7 printer drivers if available.

Remove a printer

  1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.
  2. Find the icons of installed printers, and delete them.
  3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".
  4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printers and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.
  5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".
  6. Try to remove all related printer software.

If the issue is not resolved, I suggest that you clear the printing sub system.

Step 1

======

Start Windows Explorer, and then rename all files and folders in the following two folders:

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

To rename a file, we can right click the file and select Rename.

Step 2

======

  1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search Bar, and then press ENTER.
  2. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86

View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

Drivers

Print Processors

If there are any keys other than those listed above, follow these steps:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86 registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than Drivers and Print Processors.

Step 3

======

Navigate to and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port

Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Monitor

Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

WSD Port

If there are any keys other than those listed in above, follow these steps to delete them:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type Monitorsregkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than the 5 listed above.

Step 4. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.

Step 5. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then check if the issue persists.

You can also use these two articles to troubleshoot this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933454

Hope it helps. 

Thanks and Regards:

Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-21T14:23:27+00:00

    thanks! this was very useful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-27T16:46:12+00:00

    Another really simple and easy (albeit maybe stop-gap) solution is for Windows (or for some skillful programmer) to build a new tab or sub-tab to "Start or Re-start Print Spooler" in:

    Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers

    That way, it would relieve a lot of the administrator's time; and the short-cut can be taught to the casual workers of Office.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-10-27T16:28:42+00:00

    To Joe,

    Thank you very much for this easy solution. I did fix the spooler problem I had.

    It stop running a few seconds after I start it in services model.

    I deleted the PRINTERS folder; rename the drivers to drivers.old, created a new folder called drivers.

    The spooler service is running without stop.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-27T00:03:16+00:00

    But what if they are not local printers?  But network ones?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments