Mapped network drive is connected but shows as not connected

Anonymous
2010-01-26T16:37:55+00:00

Just instqalled Windows 7 at the office. All works fine except that the mapped network drives show up with a red x after reboot. If I double click on them they work fine but Wondows sees them as not connected. This creates problems for AutoCad as it is referencing the network drives. When Windows tells AutoCad they are not connected it crashes your AutoCad user profile which is a real pain. Is there a way to force refresh the network drives?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-27T23:26:49+00:00

Ditto for op sys on my main machine (upgraded from XP.SP3/HP/32 just over a week ago) but I've seen the same behaviour on my Vista HP 32bit laptop (which connects to my router via Wi-Fi). First you get the pop-up saying 'could not connect to netwrok drive' in the notification area then the icon for the network connection itself appears. This may be coincidence but I do suspect that the network hasn't finished initialising and reporting connected devices by the time both OS's go looking for them, fail to 'see' them and report a 'problem'. A few seconds delay between the two stages would probably solve the issue if I'm right.

Generated a boot log earlier to try and confirm this speculation but soon decided it would take days of work for anybody outside the MS development team to decipher :). The other interesting thing here is that if I do a 'warm-boot' restart (rather than a cold boot from a machine that was physically switched off) of either computer then the problem doesn't occur - so 'perhaps' the router itself (regardless of model) is involved in this problem. IE on a cold boot perhaps it takes longer to detect and 'talk back' to the OS whereas with a warm-boot it's already expecting queries from the machine?

This should be solvable for those of us who object to keeping our computers permanently switched on for either financial or ecological reasons. Or should we conclude that MS's development machines really do run 24/7 and that's why they're unaware there is a problem?

:)

John

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-28T15:39:44+00:00

    Anybody have a solution to this?  I've tried everything, including the GPO for "**Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon' as well as the registry fix posted by "**mwalkersa".  We have portfast enabled on our switches. For now, our workaround is to have the users wait 30 seconds at the logon screen before logging on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-05-23T20:58:29+00:00

    The registry edit suggested above does not work for me. I am using Win 7 Ultimate. I have 2 mapped NAS drives and the pop up "Could not reconnect---" appears evry time I start my system even though both locations are connected.

    Any suggestions? Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-08T20:14:19+00:00

    Thank you for your useful feedback.  I hope your boss does not now think of you as being redundant.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments