Right click menu in Explorer (& desktop) missing new "Microsoft Office Word document".

Anonymous
2010-10-28T14:16:09+00:00

I am running MS Office Home & Student 2007 with Vista Business (32 bit).  When using my right click menu in Explorer or on the desktop, it allows me to open most all MS Office apps (Excel, PPoint, Notepad, Contact) but not the most commonly required: Word.

Is there a fix for this problem?  What can I do to rectify it?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-06T07:28:35+00:00

After many hours of research, installs, uninstalls, reinstalls, repairs, reregistering word etc. etc. I was able to add the Word 97 and 2003 right click menu option by just adding a NullFile string to the “Word.Document.8” key under the .doc key in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.doc but it would not do anything under the .docx key.

I wanted the 2010 docx of office 2010 functionality.

I have found out what I had to do to get back the Right-click New Microsoft Word Document function of Office 2010 in Windows Explorer and on the Desktop.

I found that four keys were missing in the registry in comparison with my other computer’s installation of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.

Remember to back up the .docx key by exporting it to a safe folder so that you could have it if necessary.

I opened the registry to – HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.docx

Steps creating keys are done on the left window pane in the registry.

1)     Below the .docx key I create the first key that was missing by right clicking on the “.docx” key then go down to New, then left click on Key and name it “OpenWithList” without the quotes.

Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default)  REG_SZ   (value not set)

2)     Inside of the “OpenWithList” create the second key. Right click on the “OpenWithList” key then go down to New, then left click on Key and name this new key “WordPad.exe” without the quotes.

Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default)  REG_SZ   (value not set)

3)     Right click on the “.docx” key then go down to New, then left click on Key to create the third key and name it “Word.Document.12” without the quotes.

Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default)  REG_SZ   (value not set)

4)     Right click on the “Word.Document.12” key then go down to New, then left click on Key to create the fourth key and name it “ShellNew” without the quotes.

Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default)  REG_SZ   (value not set)

The next thing to do is to create a string value newly created “ShellNew” key but this is done in the window on the right side.

5)     Left click on ShellNew in the left window to select the key. Now in the window on the right side; Right click in the empty space go to New then select String Value. Name the new string “NullFile” without the quotes, Type is REG_SZ Leave the data empty.

6)     Lastly, in the left window left click on key .docx, In the right side window make sure that the data of the (Default) string is Word.Document.12 – To change it, doubleclick on the string named (Default) , a window will open up and you change the data value to Word.Document.12 (My data value was “docx_auto_file”)

You are done. Close the registry.  Test the right click context menu now.

I hope that this will help some people.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-11T19:05:12+00:00

    I had the same issue, Tony4554, where everything was already as you described except (Default) string for the .docx key was missing Word.Document.12 (your step 6). After editing it, my issued was solved. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-24T19:37:40+00:00

    I had the same problem and i only needed to do the folowing:

    6)     Lastly, in the left window left click on key .docx, In the right side window make sure that the data of the (Default) string is Word.Document.12 – To change it, doubleclick on the string named (Default) , a window will open up and you change the data value to Word.Document.12 (My data value was “docx_auto_file”)

    Thise was the first time i had that problem and why thise thise problem appeared now for the first time for me ? did i install a bad microsoft office or windows ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T22:22:54+00:00

    When all else failed this worked perfectly for an Office 2010 fix. 

    1. Downloaded the program,
    2. Selected  "File Type Setting",
    3. Selected "Icon", 
    4. Chose the file type (e.g. docx)
    5. Then browsed to find C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WORDICON.EXE which provided 18 different Word Icons to choose from.

    Very easy, very quick.  Thank you for posting this when nothing else worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-29T15:34:55+00:00

    Thank you Tony4554, your post solved my context menu problems which had been frustrating me to no end. As a business manager and college student, I'm constantly creating Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files and not having the context menu was extremely inconvenient.

    I am running Office 2013 on x64 Windows 8 and even after a couple of re-installs of Office could not get the context menu to populate. While editing the registry is not something I care to do, I decided to give it a shot.

    What I discovered in my case was that the Office install had already done your steps 1-5 and all I had to do was fill in the Default value for the file type. I was then able to do the same thing for the .xlsx and .pptx file extensions using the Default values Excel.Sheet.12 and PowerPoint.Show.12, respectively.

    For those others who might be weary of editing their registry, Tony's steps are accurate and should hopefully work for you. To edit the registry, I did Start Menu>Run and typed in "regedit" (without the quotes) and clicked OK.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments