Right click menu in Explorer (& desktop) missing new "Microsoft Office Word document".

Anonymous
2010-10-28T14:16:09+00:00

I am running MS Office Home & Student 2007 with Vista Business (32 bit).  When using my right click menu in Explorer or on the desktop, it allows me to open most all MS Office apps (Excel, PPoint, Notepad, Contact) but not the most commonly required: Word.

Is there a fix for this problem?  What can I do to rectify it?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-06T07:28:35+00:00

After many hours of research, installs, uninstalls, reinstalls, repairs, reregistering word etc. etc. I was able to add the Word 97 and 2003 right click menu option by just adding a NullFile string to the “Word.Document.8” key under the .doc key in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.doc but it would not do anything under the .docx key.

I wanted the 2010 docx of office 2010 functionality.

I have found out what I had to do to get back the Right-click New Microsoft Word Document function of Office 2010 in Windows Explorer and on the Desktop.

I found that four keys were missing in the registry in comparison with my other computer’s installation of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.

Remember to back up the .docx key by exporting it to a safe folder so that you could have it if necessary.

I opened the registry to – HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.docx

Steps creating keys are done on the left window pane in the registry.

1)     Below the .docx key I create the first key that was missing by right clicking on the “.docx” key then go down to New, then left click on Key and name it “OpenWithList” without the quotes.

Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default)  REG_SZ   (value not set)

2)     Inside of the “OpenWithList” create the second key. Right click on the “OpenWithList” key then go down to New, then left click on Key and name this new key “WordPad.exe” without the quotes.

Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default)  REG_SZ   (value not set)

3)     Right click on the “.docx” key then go down to New, then left click on Key to create the third key and name it “Word.Document.12” without the quotes.

Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default)  REG_SZ   (value not set)

4)     Right click on the “Word.Document.12” key then go down to New, then left click on Key to create the fourth key and name it “ShellNew” without the quotes.

Inside of that key is the automatically created String Value (default)  REG_SZ   (value not set)

The next thing to do is to create a string value newly created “ShellNew” key but this is done in the window on the right side.

5)     Left click on ShellNew in the left window to select the key. Now in the window on the right side; Right click in the empty space go to New then select String Value. Name the new string “NullFile” without the quotes, Type is REG_SZ Leave the data empty.

6)     Lastly, in the left window left click on key .docx, In the right side window make sure that the data of the (Default) string is Word.Document.12 – To change it, doubleclick on the string named (Default) , a window will open up and you change the data value to Word.Document.12 (My data value was “docx_auto_file”)

You are done. Close the registry.  Test the right click context menu now.

I hope that this will help some people.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-05-27T18:38:22+00:00

    100% working solution of this problem...

    prob lies in registry

    use "Default Programs Editor"

    download it. it is great software with this not only u can solve ur prob but can do many more things.

    using this software u have just to change ur icon

    1.File type setting> icon> now search your extension (in this case .pptx)

    1. then click next
    2. locate C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\POWERPNT.EXE    (in my case) [actual problem is here. it was selected as WORDPAD.EXE we have to chage it with POWERPNT.EXE]
    3. select desired icon :)

    problem solved

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-07T21:33:23+00:00

    Please read the following tutoial carefully. It gives you a zip file for registry fix. Inside the zip-file there is a .Reg file for Add Word 2007 (.docx) entry to New menu.

    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/add-word-97-2003-entry-to-the-new-menu-after-installing-word-2007/

    Reg Files

    Inside the Zip file, there are three other .REG files. Here is a description of each file.

    Filename Description
    doc-add-shellnew.reg Add Word 97 – 2003 entry to New menu
    doc-remove-shellnew.reg Remove Word 97 – 2003 entry from New menu
    docx-add-shellnew.reg Add Word 2007 (.docx) entry to New menu
    docx-remove-shellnew.reg Remove Word 2007 (.docx) entry from New menu

    For the benefits of others looking for answers, please mark the suggestion as Answered if it solves your problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-14T18:27:13+00:00

    Tony,

    My computer came with Office Starter 2010, but when I installed Office 2010 Professional, my word icons suddenly changed from the proper word icon to a generic "DOCX" icon. I have been searching on and off for weeks and weeks for a solution, but the only thing I came across was to reset the default file associations, reregister word, or reinstall the office suite program after uninstalling Starter. I tried all of these solutions more than once but none were successful. I suspected there was a glitch in the registry as a result of a conflict between Starter and Professional, but I am no expert with the registry so didn't want to risk playing with it.

    Then I came across your post. I noticed that I also had word missing from the context menu so I thought I'd give your very thorough steps a shot. Turns out steps  #1-5 were already done, but after following step #6 and changing the value of the key, not only do I have word in the context menu, but I also have my proper word icon back!! Such a little problem - but a big annoyance. I can't believe no one else has posted this and that Microsoft doesn't know how to fix it! 

    Thank you so much for posting your solution. I've bookmarked this page in case this problem ever happens again in the future.

    Thanks again,

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-23T22:39:18+00:00

    Thanks, Tony! That solved my problem perfectly. In my case, everything was as you specified except for the final step of setting the (Default) string for the top level .docx entry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments