Come on MS. There is NO WARNING and this is a REAL PROBLEM. Your customers deserve better. I have personally lost hours of work on several occasions, the last time being 20 minutes ago. If you are concentrating on the task in hand, you need ON SCREEN notification in order to manage the situation, as you are unlikely to notice the update icon creeping silently onto your task bar prior to the complete shutdown of your computer! I am getting so frustrated that I too am seriously considering the switch to Mac. In fact reading the lame denials to the previous complaints, I have considered......I'm switching.
Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning
original title: Windows Updates that shut down
This will be short. The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first. I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT. I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing. I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions. Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point. All was lost. I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update. This was truly awful.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2016-10-24T15:30:14+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-10-04T14:07:36+00:00 Yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous. I step away from my computer to for a minute, come back, and all my work is lost. I can't even fathom how they think it's okay.
To deny that this occurs when it obviously does is disgraceful, and for Microsoft to not change this is pathetic. No wonder people have such a negative view of their company and employees, it is absolutely justified.
-
Anonymous
2016-10-01T00:37:13+00:00 It is incredibly arrogant of Microsoft to let the computer shut down without excplicit consent of the user. Work may be lost, an important online event missed etc.
They say there is a warning shortly before it happens. This is ridiculous! The user may be afk, just not concentrated all the time on the screen and so on.
I can't believe this nanny-state kind of approach from MS. It is in fact semi-totalitarian.
-
Anonymous
2016-09-29T04:55:37+00:00 I feel, if there is an option for updating, it gets lost among other screens, or while we are madly typing away trying to get things done, the message is not seen but is activated before we realise it is there.
This is "mission accomplished" in getting us to accept what we don't realise we are accepting.
Much like the way organ donating should be, is that people are automatically opted in.
This SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE WITH WINDOWS UPDATES.
If I am not at my PC (waiting for the message to come up) to say no to, it goes ahead and does what it wants. NO!
If I'm not there to accept it, it should be taken that my answer is no.
The update should not go ahead until we opt yes and the default option on the request screen should be NO - or at least - later.
This would fix all the angst out there on Windows Updates Issues and is an easily achieved (unless Windows thinks they own our computers, another issue there!).
-
Anonymous
2016-09-04T09:29:59+00:00 I agree with peoples comments about their computers shutting down. It happens to me on a regular basis. Whilst moderators can clain "You are given warning" It is clear many people are not. I use Windows 10 on a HP Pavilion laptop and on a very high spec desktop. Both shut down without warning and I find myself doing some work on an Android tablet.
It would seem to me that the simple solution is to ensure that no update is applied without express consent from the computer owner (by clicking a button to agree) even with automatic updates. An automatic update does NOT need to be applied without warning no matter how urgent. Like others I have lost valuable pieces of work, edits to complicated documents and feel that if this is a problem for a significant number of users it needs to be addressed.
By continually telling us that "Windows will always warn you." Mods are, at best, calling people idiots and at worst, liars. Please Microsoft......... Just fix the problem.