Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:22:48+00:00

Intermittent hangs. Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1. How do I find this device? Is this probably a hardware problem?

I am investigating intermittent hangs, where my cursor becomes an hourglass and the system will not even respond to ctrl-alt-del.  In the event log, I find

  Event 11 atapi : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

How do i determine which physical device(s) this is associated with?  Does this indicate a hardware problem, or might driver or firmware be the source?The system has been running fine for a couple years.  I am not aware of any software changes that have occurred recently, though I did have to forcibly remove and reinstall iTunes a little while ago.

I have run SMART checks on all drives and run some diagnostics.  I ran chkdsk on the one that I thought was the culprit, but no errors.

Just in case it was a memory-related hang, I tried to use the microsoft memory diagnostic on floppy, but it wouldn't write to the floppy (even though I could format it and copy files freely).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-31T12:13:08+00:00

Hi

Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

I hope it helps

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-07T16:08:14+00:00

    Hi

    Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

    Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

    drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

    I hope it helps

     

    What do you mean "Go into your setup"?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-22T12:47:46+00:00

    I dealt with this error for a very long time.  I tried all of the fixes and nothing worked.  As it turns out, it was a failing hard drive. The errors stopped as soon as I replaced the hard drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-05-31T02:53:51+00:00

    Again, the basic question is "how do I identify the physical device associated with***\Device\Ide\IdePort1***."

    All responses so far seem to just be guessing what device might be bad (it's your Hard Disk, no it's your DVD) and how to fix a bad device.  But that's not the first question that must be answered.  The first question is,"which device?"

    My system has multiple DVDs, and multiple HDs, both ATA and SATA.  \Device\Ide\IdePort1 is clearly identifyingONE of these many devices, but which one ???

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-07T20:30:57+00:00

    Hi Paul,

    You may try the following steps.

    1.      Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

    2.      Double-click System Tools in the right pane, and then double-click Device Manager.

    3.      Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller in the right pane, and then double-click the appropriate controller.

    4.      On the Advanced Settings tab, click PIO Only in the Transfer Mode box.

    5.      Click OK, close the Computer Management window, and then reboot the computer.

    ****Ide cables are for the hard drive or the cd/dvd drive. Hence I would suggest you to unplug the cables and re-plug the cables or change it if required.

    Disclaimer: Unplugging the cables can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Making changes are at your own risk.

    Thanks and Regards,

    Bindu S - Microsoft Support

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments