Windows 7 cannot connect to WPA2 secured wireless network

Anonymous
2009-10-29T03:16:04+00:00

Hi all,

I am facing problems connecting to my company's network with Windows 7 x86 Enterprise edt.

The wireless network is WPA2 secured with TKIP and it normally prompts for my credentials when I was on Windows XP.

I have tried with several other machines with Windows 7 x64, also Enterprise edt and that prompts me for my credentials before I connect to the wireless network.

It seems that the problem is with the Windows 7 x86 as I am not the only person with this problem.

Could someone please advice what I can do to resolve this issue?

Thank you and Regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-14T20:35:59+00:00

I've solved the problem by following procedure:

My router configuration

Authentification mode: Shared key

WEP Encryption: WEP-64bits

Key index 1

Initially W7 won't connect to the wireless network.

My steps

I have Czech version of Windows 7, so, please note that text in English version might be slightly different from my translations.

  1. Goto network and sharing center
  2. Select Setup new connection or network
  3. Select Manually connect to wireless network
  4. Type network name, select WEp security and enter key, finally click Next
  5. Click Change connection settings
  6. Goto protection tab
  7. Select Security kind: Shared and Encryption kind: WEP
  8. Retype network key
  9. Precc OK and Close

This worked for me.

In case you already have some setup for your SSID, delete id before.


Đ.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-13T16:17:05+00:00

    I have a network with the following:

    • XP 32 bit client (wired)
    • Vista 32 bit  clients (wireless)
    • Windows Home Server (wired)
    • Windows 7 64 bit clients (wireless)
    • Windows 7 32 bit client (wireless)
    • iPhone 3GS
    • iPhone 4

    The pertinent wireless settings are as follows:

    • WPA2-Personal
    • AES
    • Hidden SSID

    Only the Windows 7 32 bit client (which has Windows Update set to automatically update) has a problem connecting. The following are the hardware details of the client:

    • Dell vostro 1710
    • Windows 7 Professional (6.1 x86)
    • Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card (Broadcom v5.30.21.0)

    After trying many, many things, I ran the troubleshoot problems from the system tray (or whatever it is called now) once again. It recommended rebooting the router. When this didn't work I looked at the diagnostic details it provides (you need to expand the sections). The key item was as follows:

    Diagnostics stated that "Connect even if network not broadcasting: No" yet the UI has the checkbox "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)" checked which allows it to do so.

    I have even tried to change the setting in case it was working in reverse (highly unlikely) and this was not the case (as expected).

    Regards.


    Gary Varga

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-15T14:48:47+00:00

    Does anyone know a way to make this solution a Group Policy?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-03T17:37:38+00:00

    Hi Donny!

    It worked for me thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-06-03T17:37:07+00:00

    Hi Mir!

    It worked for me thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments