Windows 7 cannot connect to WPA2 secured wireless network

Anonymous
2009-10-29T03:16:04+00:00

Hi all,

I am facing problems connecting to my company's network with Windows 7 x86 Enterprise edt.

The wireless network is WPA2 secured with TKIP and it normally prompts for my credentials when I was on Windows XP.

I have tried with several other machines with Windows 7 x64, also Enterprise edt and that prompts me for my credentials before I connect to the wireless network.

It seems that the problem is with the Windows 7 x86 as I am not the only person with this problem.

Could someone please advice what I can do to resolve this issue?

Thank you and Regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-14T20:35:59+00:00

I've solved the problem by following procedure:

My router configuration

Authentification mode: Shared key

WEP Encryption: WEP-64bits

Key index 1

Initially W7 won't connect to the wireless network.

My steps

I have Czech version of Windows 7, so, please note that text in English version might be slightly different from my translations.

  1. Goto network and sharing center
  2. Select Setup new connection or network
  3. Select Manually connect to wireless network
  4. Type network name, select WEp security and enter key, finally click Next
  5. Click Change connection settings
  6. Goto protection tab
  7. Select Security kind: Shared and Encryption kind: WEP
  8. Retype network key
  9. Precc OK and Close

This worked for me.

In case you already have some setup for your SSID, delete id before.


Đ.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-11T08:14:22+00:00

    Hi Barb,

    No, it's not the only router here, we have several laptops with different NICs but on W7 x86, they all have the same problem.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Barb Bowman 80,820 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2009-11-05T10:44:42+00:00

    is it only this one router that you can't connect to?

    you state you are not alone with this issue. does this mean that

    others in your company are having the same issue connecting to the

    same router with the same NIC and x86 W7?

    On Thu, 5-Nov-09 00:45:43 GMT, Ixnay_Hombre wrote:

    registers it in the "Manage wireless networks that use (Wireless Network Connection) but it just would not connect to it and it happens on only the 32bit version of Windows 7. Please let me know if you require more info and I will try to gather them for you. Thanks again!


    Barb Bowman www.digitalmediaphile.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-05T00:45:43+00:00

    Hi Barb, Sorry for the delay in getting back as I was down and out over the past few days. Yes, I have checked the driver version and it is the 12.4.1.4 and I know what router I am connecting to as well. The strange thing is that my windows 7 registers it in the "Manage wireless networks that use (Wireless Network Connection) but it just would not connect to it and it happens on only the 32bit version of Windows 7. Please let me know if you require more info and I will try to gather them for you. Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,820 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2009-10-30T19:12:46+00:00

    do you know what AP/router you are connecting to (failing to connect

    to)?

    Is the driver version you are using 12.4.1.4?

    On Fri, 30-Oct-09 17:59:31 GMT, Ixnay_Hombre wrote:

    >Hi Barb, It's an intel 5300agn, like I have said, I have no problems with windows 7 x64 but only with windows 7 x32, so I highly doubt that it is a fault with the drivers.


    Barb Bowman www.digitalmediaphile.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments