Windows 7 Windows Update Error 80072f8f

Anonymous
2009-12-29T15:41:51+00:00

When trying to perform a windows update you may receive this error.

I just wanted to post that I found the fix in that the GTW CyberTrust certificate authority is not trusted in Windows 7/Internet Explorer.

Installing this certificate authority into the trusted authorities allows windows update to continue.

I could not find any solution after searching this site, so thought a post would work.

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-08T15:52:20+00:00

I had the same problem with mine, i tried the thing guitarfish suggested but that didn't work. Didn't understand how it can be becuase of the date and time, after hours of searching on the net, I managed to fix the problem myself and heres how i did it

click on your time and date (bottom right) then a windows should pop up, click on the link 'change date and time settings'. on the date and time window click on the internet time tab, click on Change settings button, then click on the 'update now' button, then click ok and exit the windows and now try your update.

it should work as it did for me

good luck

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-10T19:45:02+00:00

    I've also tried all the fixes and they haven't worked and I am getting scared!!!  It's December 10th and I haven't been able to update for over a month.   Would somebody please help me out!

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-26T15:00:35+00:00

    Hey I just tried your method with updating the internet time but it said an error occurred when trying to synchronize. Any idea whats wrong? 

    Hey same here. I tried switching which server and it worked. Try that!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-05-05T14:09:24+00:00

    This worked. I had to click the time button a few times to get it to respond, but it did, and now Windows Update appears to be working properly. 

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-07T16:10:34+00:00

    Thanks for the additional information. Your solution solved the problem for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments