All Physical memory being used but nothing showing in task manager

Anonymous
2009-12-29T09:42:02+00:00

Hi I have windows 7 64 bit fresh install as of yesterday (fully updated) and experiencing a performance issue. When I look under task manager 95% of my physical memory (3.5 gb out of 4gb) is being used but there are no tasks that are using the memory. I have selected show task for all users and again nothing is using the 3.5 gb of memory. It is a pretty clean install (just have virus checker and Skype, steam installed) so no chance of a virus. I have check my page file and it is configured for windows to automatically mange page file.

Things I have tried:- Stopped all of the service that I can (no change)

manually configure the page file (no change)

Reinstalled windows 7 (problem eventually comes back once all of the updates have been applied)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-19T17:02:43+00:00

i had the same problem and just resolved it.

for the past month my computer was running sluggish and its memory was at either 77% or 93%, even if nothing was running. in task manager all the different processes added up to about 1.75 gigs, so there was about 2 gigs of memory unexplained for (4gig memory). i always ignored the "show processes from all users" because im the only user on my computer, but i decided to click it finally, and a new process popped up on the top of the list. Window Media Player Network Sharing Service, this process by itself was using 2 gigs of memory. after ending the process, my memory returned to normal. however another thing you have to do is go to the resource monitor in the performance section of the task manager and suspend all the Window Media Player Network Sharing Service processes that are still open slowing things down, and then your pretty much set.

i realize that this might not be the exact answer to everyones problem but give it a shot.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-13T22:22:51+00:00

This problem plagued me for much longer, and required much more effort to resolve, than it should have.  I have been running an 8 core, 12 GB Dell that would go from 4ish GB to 11.5GB in the matter of 10 minutes, without any warning.  Google searches led to a plethora of failed attempts including shutting down the Windows Media Player service, uninstalling VMWare, and removing AVG anti-virus software.  The problem didn't budge.  One aspect of the problem that I noticed was that I was using much more RAM on start-up, and overall hard-drive space, than I anticipated.

I believe your culprit is Window 7 itself:  the Windows Search service. From what I can glean, if you do a lot of computationally heavy work which creates a lot of temporary files, or have a large number of files (not large files per se, but a large number of files) on your hard drive(s), when this service kicks in, it attempts to index them, and store the resulting index in memory for quick searching.  This leads to two problems:

(i) a huge Windows.edb (basically, the physical file representing the index) 

(ii) a massive amount of used memory (which doesn't show on task manager), when this file (or aspects of it) is loaded into memory

A nice tool, which in fact on a MS hosted site and should be much more accessible, to see your ACTUAL RAM usage is RAMMap http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229.  This will show you the offending culprit.

Blowing away the service and the Windows.edb file not only solved the problem of interest, but added 70GB to my hard drive, and lowered my startup RAM usage to 2.5GB (from 4.5GB)!  Here is a good starting point:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10246/how-to-disable-search-in-windows-7/

For the record, I find it to be bad OS development to allow a system file to get in the realm of hundred of MBs, and really awful development to get into GBs.  A 70GB (almost 12% of the total hard drive size) OS file speaks volumes for Windows 7 development.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-03T00:22:03+00:00

    I also tested with a Generation 1 Windows 7 client, it had the same problem: quickly after logging in all available RAM would be consumed. So that got me thinking... It can't be THAT buggy, right??

    And now I think I actually 'solved' it... 

    When I created the virtual machines I set the total amount of RAM on 32GB instead of the advised default of 512 RAM. And I enabled dynamic memory... Also with with a max of 32GB.

    So after the failed experiment with Win 7 I decided to start over once more: but this time I started with the advised default of 512MB RAM. I know, horrible right?? But I also set dynamic memory from 512 to max of 32GB.

    And guess what: both clients now behave as one would expect! When RAM is short, it automatically expands the total ram of the virtual machine and it will use it. Even for caching purposes. I'd suppose you could change the settings of the virtual machine's memory settings IF you are experiencing this problem too. I did not check that though... You might have to start from scratch (I did).

    Thank you Redmond, not ;p

    Devvie

    twitter.com/devnullius

    Post-edit: I just saw there are client tools too! Just like with VMWare... You install them through Action-menu of the client (Insert Integration Services Setup Disk)... Might have prevented this bug - I did not test; again, maybe next time :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-01T23:23:51+00:00

    Not a newbie here... Something is wrong!

    I just installed a Windows 8.1 Hyper-V (version 2) client on Windows Server 2012 R2.

    Server has 128GB RAM, I allocated 32GB for the virtual machine with Windows 8.1.

    Task Manager does not show any memory usage (the virtual client has been freshly installed) of importance.

    The task manager on the Win 8.1 x64 client says 30GB of 32GB is used. Running RAMMAP on the client shows "Locked Driver" is consuming 28.4 GB of RAM!! :/

    Stopping Search service does not solve it. I have no multimedia to speak of nor did I configure anything. And yes, I'm using View all details in task manager's process list... 

    And no, it's not cached data... Cache is 1GB currently (shouldn't be more than 2 GB anyways).

    So... Expert advises please? And ffs, don't copy paste the same answers over and over again... We can read a thread just fine! ;p

    I'm gonna remove this Virtual machine and start over fresh - see if it turns out differently...

    http://i.imgur.com/Vglw5dR.png

    Peace!

    Devnullius

    PS: "Your goal is not to target large amounts of free memory, even if you are doing only a few things. When your OS uses as much RAM as possible, it will be able to take advantage of the speed RAM provides."

    LOL - crackheads! Amateurs!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-22T19:13:53+00:00

    Thank you very much! I just got a new Windows 7 machine and I started noticing the exact same problem. I'm sure sure Microsoft is aware of this but I'm surprised they've still left the bug unfixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments