XP - Error: WshNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives (Caused by KB982802 and KB2360937)

Anonymous
2010-09-15T09:03:41+00:00

After installing update KB982802 the following code no longer works

 Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")

 Set oDrives = WshNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives

specifically EnumNetworkDrives

It crashed with error code 800706C6 The array bounds are invalid.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Dave

P.S. tried to post this under XP but the windows updates link on the XP forum brings you here to the windows 7 forum!?!?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-18T17:55:38+00:00

KB980802 is an Important (not a Critical) update for WinXP. If you've decided not to (re)install it, you may need to hide it so that Automatic Updates doesn't install it again.

  1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]

Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop

(Stopping the service will take a moment)

  1. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]

Open the Download folder and delete its contents

Close the window.

  1. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to complete | Uncheck/deselect KB980802 and hide it ("Don't show me this update again").
  2. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]

Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start

(Starting the service will take a moment)


~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-13T10:16:11+00:00

I experienced this same problem.

After installing KB982802 on Windows XP then objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives does not work but only IF there is a mapped up drive to a Sharepoint site or if a Sharepoint site has been added to "My Network Places". If I remove the mapping to the Sharepoint site the problem disappears. If I remove the Sharepoint site from "My Network Places" then I have to reboot to get rid of this problem. There could of cause be other situations where this problem arises but in my case I could link this directly to mapping drives to Sharepoint site.

Also the "Net use" command returns an error:

"C:>net use

System error 1734 has occurred.

The array bounds are invalid."

Note that this is the same error as if objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives is used, "The array bounds are invalid.".

I managed to rewrite my logins script where I used objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives by using Set Drives = objFSO.Drives and DiskDrive.DriveLetter and DiskDrive.ShareName but this is clearly a bug in KB982802 that needs to be fixed by Microsoft.

It's not a solution to remove this patch from all Windows XP workstations.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-13T17:31:17+00:00

    Disco can I open up a support incident for you?  Ping me at susan-at-msmvps.com please!

    His original was SRX1138986847ID according to his post above, Susan.


    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-13T17:14:07+00:00

    Disco can I open up a support incident for you?  Ping me at susan-at-msmvps.com please!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-13T17:09:58+00:00

    Boovar can I open up a support ticket on your behalf?  ping me at susan-at-msmvps.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments