The taskhost.exe application consumes 50-60% of the average cpu usage

Anonymous
2010-02-10T09:05:52+00:00

The taskhost.exe application(C:\Windows\System 32) consumes 50-60% of the average cpu usage even when the system is idle  and no processes are being run.

Will deleting this application make my computer unstable?

How can  i permanently stop the process ?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-11T04:26:39+00:00

Hey Abhishek,

The taskhost.exe is a Task Host which is a generic Host Process for Windows 7 32-bit Services. The full path to this file should be shown in TUT as **C:\Windows\System32\Taskhost.exe.**TASKHOST is a generic process which acts as a host for processes that run from DLLs rather than EXEs. At startup TASKHOST checks the Services portion of the Registry to construct a list of DLL-based services that it needs to load, and then loads them. There can be many instances of TASKHOST running, as there will be one instance of TASKHOST for every DLL-based service or grouping of services (the grouping of services is determined by the programmers who wrote the services in question).

Since this is an integral part of the operating system, I wouldn’t suggest you to delete it.

However, for the high CPU consumption issue, please use Performance Monitor to view performance data either in real time or from a log file.

The new Resource Monitor lets you view detailed real-time information about hardware resources (CPU, disk, network, and memory) and system resources (including handles and modules) in use by the operating system, services, and running applications. In addition, you can use Resource Monitor to stop processes, start and stop services, analyze process deadlocks, view thread wait chains, and identify processes locking files.

A closer look:

View CPU utilization and other performance information**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/View-CPU-utilization-and-other-performance-information**

See details about your computer's performance using Task Manager**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/See-details-about-your-computers-performance-using-Task-Manager**

Last but not the least, perform virus scan to remove any trace of infection on your computer. If your antivirus database is not updated, please update the same and then run the scan. If you don't have antivirus installed, you may opt to download Microsoft Security Essentials on your computer and run it.

**http://www.microsoft.com/Security\_Essentials/**

Hope this helps!


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-09T22:07:30+00:00

    I too suffered from this issue back in Feb 2011. I posted a detailed description of the issue and appended the solution to the end of the article:

    http://www.bitcrazed.com/post/2011/02/02/Windows’-(RACENGN)-Reliability-Analysis-Calculation-Engine-eating-my-laptop!.aspx

    It turns out that this issue is caused by having corrupted RAC (Reliability Analysis Calculation) database.

    The solution (from Microsoft) was to delete the contents of %programdata%\Microsoft\RAC\StateData. This will clear the RAC database which Windows will re-create automatically.

    After deleting the corrupted RAC database, I've never had a reoccurrance of this isssue.

    HTH.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-08T14:46:43+00:00

    It was the RAC for me too, I have disabled the task as well as stopping it so hopefully it doesnt return--I dont think it is of any importance to have it running so best to just get rid of it.

    I assume microsoft will fix this at some point in an update??

    Thank you to the person who figured this out....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-18T18:23:14+00:00

    The taskhost.exe application(C:\Windows\System 32) consumes 50-60% of the average cpu usage even when the system is idle  and no processes are being run.

    Will deleting this application make my computer unstable?

    How can  i permanently stop the process ?

    The solution below fixed mine "ultimate7 64 bit"

    I stuggled with lockups on startup for weeks. Even bought 2 new HDD thinking they were a problem.

    As Soon As I stopped the RAC task my cpu usage dropped to near zero from 60%.

    "

    Wow... so I have struggled most of the weekend with this :(

    And I think I have it narrowed down to the Windows RAC task...

    This after installing (and buying a few) multiple spyware and antivirus tools...  I wonder if I should ask for reimbursement??

    Anyway - my cpu was being consumed by the Windows Reliability Analysis Task - the way that I narrowed it down to this was by installing process explorer and letting it show me what was actually running under taskhost.exe

    I then went into scheduled tasks and stopped the reliability analysis scheduled activity  -  and presto the taskhost.exe went away and processor utilization shot down to essentially nothing.

    Anyway - that seemed to help me... maybe it will help you

    Not sure why it is trying to burn up so much cpu...

    "

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-06T17:17:18+00:00

    Thank you!  That seems to have helped!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments