Windows 7 Network printing problems

Anonymous
2009-11-06T13:50:16+00:00

I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista Home premium both versions are 32-bit. When using Vista and I tried to connect to printers on my home network using a wireless network to a desktop runing XP Home I get a error message that says access denied. I get this same message using Windows 7. It sees the printer on the network but won't connect. If I hook the printer up directly to the Laptop it works fine.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-24T17:45:52+00:00

I found a solution on another forum. Logically it makes no sense to me, but it worked so….

Go to Control Panel ****. Choose printer ****. Then choose Add Printer ****.

ChooseAdd a local printer. ****Click on Create a new port. ****

The default in the drop down box is Local Port ****. Do not change that. Click Next ****.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.

Type in the \computer name\printer name.

My computer's name is kidscomputer and the printer name is HPPrinter so I typed in \kidscomputer\hpprinter

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! Hope this helps someone else so they don't spend the hours or days like I did on it!

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-06T13:59:33+00:00

Your "access denied" error indicates that you don't have file/printer sharing set up correctly.

Set up file/printer sharing:

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

In Windows 7, go to Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Network and Sharing Center. Click on "Change advanced sharing settings". You don't want to use Homegroup unless you have all Windows 7 machines. If you do and you want to use Homegroup, see Windows 7's Help & Support. Otherwise, in the Advanced Sharing:

Turn ON network discovery

Turn ON file and printer sharing

Turn ON sharing in the Public folder sharing section

Turn ON password protected sharing

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, turning on Windows 7's File and Printer Sharing as above will take care of this for you. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own firewall component, then you're fine.  With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES . If you wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this:

Start>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]

Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

D. If one or more of the computers on your network is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. In Windows 7 I usually share out the user's Desktop and the Public directory.

F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine. If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard. In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local printers.

How to install a printer that is connected locally to another computer if the driver installation routine doesn't help:

Go to the computer to which the printer is connected. Write down the computer name which you will get from Control Panel>System>Computer Name. Now in Control Panel go to Printers. Find the printer in question, right-click it and then left-click on Properties. Write down the Share Name. Naturally you must have already set up File/Printer Sharing on all involved computers and shared out the printer.

Now go to the remote computer to which you want to add the printer. Control Panel>Printers>Add Printer

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop-down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next. A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \FullComputername\SharedPrintername

ex:  \mycomputer\HPDJ (this is why you wrote down the computer and printer names in the first step)

Click Next. Under the Manufacturers list, select the correct printer manufacturer and the correct printer model from the Printers List. Under "Do you want to use this printer as the default printer select "Yes" (if you do!) and click Next. When asked to print a test page, select "Yes", then Finish.


MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-07T19:58:41+00:00

    How to install a printer that is connected locally to another computer if the driver installation routine doesn't help:

    Go to the computer to which the printer is connected. Write down the computer name which you will get from Control Panel>System>Computer Name. Now in Control Panel go to Printers. Find the printer in question, right-click it and then left-click on Properties. Write down the Share Name. Naturally you must have already set up File/Printer Sharing on all involved computers and shared out the printer.

    Now go to the remote computer to which you want to add the printer. Control Panel>Printers>Add Printer

    Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop-down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next. A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \FullComputername\SharedPrintername

    ex:  \mycomputer\HPDJ (this is why you wrote down the computer and printer names in the first step)

    Click Next. Under the Manufacturers list, select the correct printer manufacturer and the correct printer model from the Printers List. Under "Do you want to use this printer as the default printer select "Yes" (if you do!) and click Next. When asked to print a test page, select "Yes", then Finish.


    MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    I have been fighting this battle for two weeks. I just bought an HP CP2025dn (CP2020 series) color laser printer, to the tune of $500 plus another $500 for toner cartridges. It is connected to a 32-bit XP computer that is hardwired to my Belkin router that also runs my wireless network. I was able to install it as a shared network printer on my two other 32-bit XP machines (one hardwired, one wireless) and my wirelessly connected Vista Home Premium machine with no problem. However, installing the new printer on my wirelessly connected Win 7 computer has been...um...challenging.

    HP's website support is basically no help...their solution is to have you download a Universal PCL 6 driver, which may be nice, but still doesn't solve the networking issue. At one point, I did just plug the printer into my Win 7 laptop directly through its USB port, and it did recognize it, and I was able to print. I thought that might solve the "I can't find the driver" issue on the network, but it did not. I think, though, that must have installed the drivers that were needed for Win 7 to recognize the printer once I solved the networking issue.

    So I decided to try searching Microsoft's Windows 7 forums, to see what help I could find there. Well, the above instructions from Malkeleah did the trick! My only issue was when I went to add the new local port using the full computer name and share printer name, I got a message saying it already existed. I figure that it must have been created on one of my many previous attempts to connect to the printer. That was easy enough to deal with, I just selected "Use an existing port" instead, found the \servername\sharedprintername on the list of ports, and selected it. The rest of the installation went according to the steps given, and it worked like a charm! I even copied and pasted the instructions to a Word document, added info for my particular settings, and printed a copy to my newly installed network printer, to save for future reference.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I should have looked here when the installation didn't work right the first time!

    Lisa

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-31T23:43:14+00:00

    For anyone who still has problems with Windows networking and trying to print from a Windows 7 machine to a Windows XP machine, you might try the following.

    First, make sure you have IP connectivity between the two machines in that the Windows 7 machine can ping the XP machine.

    Second, install the Windows TCP/IP printing service (aka LPD) on the Windows/XP machine. This is pretty simple to do and you can google Windows XP LPD to get instructions.

    Third, install your printer using a local LPR port on the Windows 7 machine. The host will be the XP machine and the "queue name" will be the name of your printer on the XP machine.

    I can't get Windows file and printer sharing to work reliably  but so far, using LPR/LPD (and FileZilla client and server for file transfer) has been flawless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-21T22:29:31+00:00

    you need to find one that uses the same name as you XP machine.  I do not have that information. 

    there are three drivers for this device available on Windows Update.  I'd say they do not match the driver that is installed on your XP machine or you would have been able to connect already. 

    "HP LaserJet 4200 PCL 5"

    "HP LaserJet 4200 PCL 6"

    "HP LaserJet 4200 PS"


    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments