Windows 7 Network printing problems

Anonymous
2009-11-06T13:50:16+00:00

I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista Home premium both versions are 32-bit. When using Vista and I tried to connect to printers on my home network using a wireless network to a desktop runing XP Home I get a error message that says access denied. I get this same message using Windows 7. It sees the printer on the network but won't connect. If I hook the printer up directly to the Laptop it works fine.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-24T17:45:52+00:00

I found a solution on another forum. Logically it makes no sense to me, but it worked so….

Go to Control Panel ****. Choose printer ****. Then choose Add Printer ****.

ChooseAdd a local printer. ****Click on Create a new port. ****

The default in the drop down box is Local Port ****. Do not change that. Click Next ****.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.

Type in the \computer name\printer name.

My computer's name is kidscomputer and the printer name is HPPrinter so I typed in \kidscomputer\hpprinter

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! Hope this helps someone else so they don't spend the hours or days like I did on it!

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-06T13:59:33+00:00

Your "access denied" error indicates that you don't have file/printer sharing set up correctly.

Set up file/printer sharing:

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

In Windows 7, go to Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Network and Sharing Center. Click on "Change advanced sharing settings". You don't want to use Homegroup unless you have all Windows 7 machines. If you do and you want to use Homegroup, see Windows 7's Help & Support. Otherwise, in the Advanced Sharing:

Turn ON network discovery

Turn ON file and printer sharing

Turn ON sharing in the Public folder sharing section

Turn ON password protected sharing

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, turning on Windows 7's File and Printer Sharing as above will take care of this for you. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own firewall component, then you're fine.  With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES . If you wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this:

Start>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]

Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

D. If one or more of the computers on your network is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. In Windows 7 I usually share out the user's Desktop and the Public directory.

F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine. If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard. In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local printers.

How to install a printer that is connected locally to another computer if the driver installation routine doesn't help:

Go to the computer to which the printer is connected. Write down the computer name which you will get from Control Panel>System>Computer Name. Now in Control Panel go to Printers. Find the printer in question, right-click it and then left-click on Properties. Write down the Share Name. Naturally you must have already set up File/Printer Sharing on all involved computers and shared out the printer.

Now go to the remote computer to which you want to add the printer. Control Panel>Printers>Add Printer

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop-down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next. A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \FullComputername\SharedPrintername

ex:  \mycomputer\HPDJ (this is why you wrote down the computer and printer names in the first step)

Click Next. Under the Manufacturers list, select the correct printer manufacturer and the correct printer model from the Printers List. Under "Do you want to use this printer as the default printer select "Yes" (if you do!) and click Next. When asked to print a test page, select "Yes", then Finish.


MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-02T15:17:18+00:00

    michaelt777

    Tried this and it worked first time

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-12-31T20:30:06+00:00

    I had a similar problem but the printer was on the Windows 7 PC connected via USB.  The W7 PC is hardwired to a NetGear Router.  The printer is a HP 9670 which according to HP.com does not have a W7 64bit driver so took me through a similar process to add local printer but the strange part was to use an HP9800 64bit print driver.  The process worked OK but I lost the ability to use the built in duplex feature... :(. 

    Then I tried connecting my XP laptop to the W7 printer via a wireless connection.  At first the laptop could see the printer on the local network but would not load the driver nor could I print.  I used control panel printers on the W7 PC to add additional drivers for x86 but every driver I tried to load be it HP9670 or HP9800 did not work.  I spent many hours trying different drivers and options and nothing worked so I was resolved to simply connect the HP9670 via USB to the Laptop...not the best solution but it works.

    Then I read the above solution and it worked!  The XP laptop already had the HP9670 print diver installed because I had planned to use it via USB.  I added a new printer as described above, it connected via the \computer name\printer name and used the existing HP 9670 print driver and more importantly allows me to use the built in duplex feature of the printer. 

    WooHoo!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-12-28T14:54:21+00:00

    I have the exact same problem.   The XP machine shares out the printer.  The Windows 7 machine can see it over the network.   I've downloaded the printer drivers to the Win 7 machine and I can connect the printer directly to it and print just fine.   When I go to connect to it through the network share, it starts to connect, but then gives me a "file cannot be found" error referencing some " " file (blank).     Would love to see a solution here.  Many people have this exact same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments