No background music in Age of Empires II Collectors Edition.

Anonymous
2009-08-25T15:24:11+00:00

There is no background music in AoE II and AoE II Expansion.

I have tried just about anything and have looked through the internet for persons with the same problem.

Apparently the problem is somewhat common for the collectors edition, since the background music for AoE II stays on the cd, after installation, for streaming while the game is playing.

I have tried some different things, but none were succesful.

Yes, i have turned up the computer volume and it has nothing to do with a not-existing "Music On/Off" button.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-03T20:44:07+00:00

I believe my friend has the collectors edition and it play music just fine. I think the problem is that either the user is using a No-CD patch that does not support in-game music, his audio settings are wrong for disk-to-game streaming, or that perhaps he may have a download version of the game that had the music stripped out to conserve disk space.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-09-28T20:39:38+00:00

This may help for future reference. If the DVD media does not contain the files to begin with, then you are out of luck. If it does, it is probably compressed in a archive format, similar to what Activision does with their game development.Tthere may be a compatibility problem with CD/DVD drives and this game. Originally, If I am not mistaken, an audio cable was required to be plugged into the user's sound card and CD/DVD drive to transmit data to the audio chipset. Newer drives do not use the technology.

You could give this a shot:

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

Click the + (plus sign) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click your CD-ROM drive, and then click Properties.

Click to check the Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device check box, and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Exit to close the Device Manager window.

ALSO! Take a look at this:

http://sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?p=100456

It would be odd if the collectors edition was missing the OST and then the original edition had it.

Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-21T01:57:13+00:00

    i have finally found the solution

    download the long music track found in the age of empires 2 cd

    convert it to .mp3 and change the name to 01 yes.mp3 and put it in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Taunt

    when you start a game press enter and put 1 and press enter again

    and it will start playing the music

    i hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-09T18:48:20+00:00

    Even better, gee. The song can be read in the i-tunes. YOu don´t have to download nothing. Star the game, start the song from the i-tunes. That´s it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-09T18:39:49+00:00

    Hello there, I am very, very disapointed with this no-music release by Microsoft. I know it was 10 bucks, but geez....

    From what I´ve understood about our problem: This game was developed for 95/98/me, 2000/ny, if you use XP maybe you´re in trouble(my case).

    For those who do not have a plug for the dvd/cd drive, you´re in trouble(my case).

    My idea, call it stupid or not, was: I downloaded the mp3 version of the songs, it has 30 minutes, I think it was on piratebay, you can donate a few bucks to the music creators, I guess. Now, every time I play the game, I press play on i-tunes and I live happy.

    There´s no other inteligent solution...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments