Is it possible to set stereo output to mono in Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-07-09T10:00:53+00:00

Set stereo output to mono in Windows 7

I have looked everywhere in sound settings and accessibility settings within Windows 7. I cannot find ANY settings to make the computer output the stereo sound to MONO.  I have REALTEK integrated soundcard on my Gigabyte motherboard.  I have checked in those settings as well.  The ONLY thing I have been able to do is change the balance, and that doesnt solve my problem.  You see, I am deaf in my left ear, so in stereo recordings that I am listening to with headphones on, I miss alot of the sounds within the music or movie or whatever I am listening to.  On my Mac, all I have to do is click a button in the settings, and the computer will play stereo sound through BOTH speakers, which is what I want on my PC.  I cant believe this feature isnt available in Windows 7.  Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-08-04T03:20:15+00:00

Right click on the volume icon on taskbar > Playback Devices > select the device > Configure > Choose Mono  > click next > click finish

ya theres another longer way to do this too just make it a single channel out put but still running to two speakers BAM MONO

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-16T02:00:35+00:00

Hi Xandris,

It’s not possible to change stereo output to mono in Windows 7.

You may either go for third party players that support stereo to mono output. Alternatively you can get a Mono Plug Adapter that converts stereo to mono output.

If you want to leave any feeback about Windows 7, here's a link for that purpose.

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Note: Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

53 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-12T04:29:44+00:00

    I know this is an old post but people may still be looking for an answer, and I have found it

    About two or three months ago my left speaker in the laptop died. It did not bother me because most games and music seemed to sound just fine with one speaker. Movies and such usually get routed through the headphone jack  to the surround sound system. But today I wanted to listen to a podcast and there was no sound. Windows volume meter showed there was infact something playing but it was not coming out the right speaker. I tried playing something else and it played fine. So I figured that the pod cast must be playing only out the left channel. So started my quest, to set windows 7 up to play sound in mono. Going to playback devices and configure for the speaker only had a stereo setting.  I have a realtek driver loaded and nowhere could I find a mono setting.

    So I finally ended up at the realtek site and downloaded a generic vista/win7 driver.

    It did not want to install because the driver was not signed. I uninstalled the old driver. I tried again to install the generic driver I had just downloaded without success. So finally I decided not to use the setup.exe and instead double clicked on alcupd.exe (the driver update program). Success. Only thing is that because I uninstalled the laptops sound driver, I no longer have any of the environment or equalizer settings. Not a big deal for me, If I need them I will just reinstall the laptop sound drivers. So I right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and choose playback devices, then the properties for the headphone. I renamed headphone to Internal Speaker. Then under enhancements I chose Headphone virtualization. Success, now can hear both the left and right channels on the one good right speaker, with just slightly less volume.

    I was able to hear my podcast just fine with the new settings.

    So I guess "Headphone virtualization" equals Mono sound. Hey it works for me, maybe it will work for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-13T00:11:52+00:00

    I uninstalled the generic realtek driver and re installed the realtek driver from fujitsu.

    The  "Headphone virtualization" setting is not there, but I found that some of the environment settings actually combine both channels and allow me to hear both channels from the right speaker.

    I get the best mix by using the environment room setting and the equalizer voice setting. and I am still able to hear what is playing out of the left speaker on the right speaker.

    If you want to listen to what I was trying to hear http://thenancarrowproject.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments