Is it possible to set stereo output to mono in Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-07-09T10:00:53+00:00

Set stereo output to mono in Windows 7

I have looked everywhere in sound settings and accessibility settings within Windows 7. I cannot find ANY settings to make the computer output the stereo sound to MONO.  I have REALTEK integrated soundcard on my Gigabyte motherboard.  I have checked in those settings as well.  The ONLY thing I have been able to do is change the balance, and that doesnt solve my problem.  You see, I am deaf in my left ear, so in stereo recordings that I am listening to with headphones on, I miss alot of the sounds within the music or movie or whatever I am listening to.  On my Mac, all I have to do is click a button in the settings, and the computer will play stereo sound through BOTH speakers, which is what I want on my PC.  I cant believe this feature isnt available in Windows 7.  Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-08-04T03:20:15+00:00

Right click on the volume icon on taskbar > Playback Devices > select the device > Configure > Choose Mono  > click next > click finish

ya theres another longer way to do this too just make it a single channel out put but still running to two speakers BAM MONO

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-16T02:00:35+00:00

Hi Xandris,

It’s not possible to change stereo output to mono in Windows 7.

You may either go for third party players that support stereo to mono output. Alternatively you can get a Mono Plug Adapter that converts stereo to mono output.

If you want to leave any feeback about Windows 7, here's a link for that purpose.

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Note: Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

53 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-05-28T07:30:30+00:00

    Hey there.

    I have your same problem, I'm deaf on my left ear, been like that my whole life. I really feel for you and know what you're going through.

    I stumbled on this post searching for the same solution.. I'm looking for something at OS level so it's not restricted to the player of choice.

    What I can tell you, if it can help you, that exist some "voip" headphones that are stereo but for a single ear.

    I have an old one at home wich is overused (guess why) which clips to your ear (can pick left or right just turning the clip) and it has a little mic in front. It has both green and pink jacks (audio and mic) but usually I just plug the green one and forget about the other.

    It's got almost broken because I carry it around and use it with my portable devices too. I look kind of weird going around with a voip set on my ear but hey, let them have fun at my disability.

    Anyway, if you find any good solution, let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-05T13:42:16+00:00

    hi, i ve got the same problem here with my windows 7, i can't make mono as default while i'm listening using my headphone regardless of any media players. I'm surfing anywhere and hv try some, but still not yet fix the problem. I give up and try again the day after, still got the same problem. But, sometimes u just need not to think!

    i mistakenly not putting my headphone connector systematically inside like hanging (it's about line 3 of 3,5 mm audio jack) and i fix that problem!

    good luck with yours!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-07T21:58:31+00:00

    Ditto! I'm surprised that windows does not have accessibility options for mono hearing. It seems like a simple thing to me. On the up side, I get all the broken headsets from family members (with left side broken) and modify them so that tip and ring of the 3.5 mm jack are shorted together (Tip = left, Ring = right, Sleeve = ground). This is, of course, forcing mono on the hardware side though. There are adapters out there that do this too.

    I wonder if it could be possible that some drivers support a global mono setting while others do not? I see nothing in my audio settings that allow for mono. It seems to me to be a simple thing to achieve!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments