Is it possible to set stereo output to mono in Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-07-09T10:00:53+00:00

Set stereo output to mono in Windows 7

I have looked everywhere in sound settings and accessibility settings within Windows 7. I cannot find ANY settings to make the computer output the stereo sound to MONO.  I have REALTEK integrated soundcard on my Gigabyte motherboard.  I have checked in those settings as well.  The ONLY thing I have been able to do is change the balance, and that doesnt solve my problem.  You see, I am deaf in my left ear, so in stereo recordings that I am listening to with headphones on, I miss alot of the sounds within the music or movie or whatever I am listening to.  On my Mac, all I have to do is click a button in the settings, and the computer will play stereo sound through BOTH speakers, which is what I want on my PC.  I cant believe this feature isnt available in Windows 7.  Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-08-04T03:20:15+00:00

Right click on the volume icon on taskbar > Playback Devices > select the device > Configure > Choose Mono  > click next > click finish

ya theres another longer way to do this too just make it a single channel out put but still running to two speakers BAM MONO

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-16T02:00:35+00:00

Hi Xandris,

It’s not possible to change stereo output to mono in Windows 7.

You may either go for third party players that support stereo to mono output. Alternatively you can get a Mono Plug Adapter that converts stereo to mono output.

If you want to leave any feeback about Windows 7, here's a link for that purpose.

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Note: Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

53 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-18T12:34:00+00:00

    In case anyone still looking (like me), this is the solution -

    Change the Media Center to "Now Playing" mode if you're not already there.

    Right click on a blank space (like left of the stop button).

    A menu should appear with "Enhancements" (I can't find it anywhere in Library mode).

    Select "SRS WoW effects"

    On the popup window, click the "Turn on" link and like magic, you get both channels down the same ear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-14T18:41:38+00:00

    And I would like to inform you that you are wrong.  If you had read my post, you would know that there is a setting for this on my MacBook Pro.  Now, it may not be playing "stereo" sound through the one speaker in a technical sense, but it DOES play the left and right channel through the one speaker.  There is no question.  For example, on the song "Savior", by Rise Against.  On my WINDOWS computer, I can only hear half of the sound on headphones in my right ear, since I am deaf in my left.  On my MACBOOK, I hear BOTH CHANNELS IN ONE EAR, because the Mac has accessibility settings that allow mono playback.  I can hear the difference.  It may be that Windows doesnt have this capability.  If not, then I will just use my Mac for playback with headphones. 

    So again, it IS POSSIBLE to do, despite what you have been told.  My Mac does this without any issues, I was just hoping to get my Windows PC to do this as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-13T08:12:13+00:00

    I would like to inform you that down sampling stereo sound to mono sound is not possible since stereo sound is a standardized sound setting.

    Stereo speakers are designed to produce sound on both the speakers and there is not option to change the settings to use it as mono sound.

    I would also suggest that you contact the speaker manufacturer or computer manufacturer for further assistance on this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments