Is it possible to set stereo output to mono in Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-07-09T10:00:53+00:00

Set stereo output to mono in Windows 7

I have looked everywhere in sound settings and accessibility settings within Windows 7. I cannot find ANY settings to make the computer output the stereo sound to MONO.  I have REALTEK integrated soundcard on my Gigabyte motherboard.  I have checked in those settings as well.  The ONLY thing I have been able to do is change the balance, and that doesnt solve my problem.  You see, I am deaf in my left ear, so in stereo recordings that I am listening to with headphones on, I miss alot of the sounds within the music or movie or whatever I am listening to.  On my Mac, all I have to do is click a button in the settings, and the computer will play stereo sound through BOTH speakers, which is what I want on my PC.  I cant believe this feature isnt available in Windows 7.  Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-08-04T03:20:15+00:00

Right click on the volume icon on taskbar > Playback Devices > select the device > Configure > Choose Mono  > click next > click finish

ya theres another longer way to do this too just make it a single channel out put but still running to two speakers BAM MONO

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-16T02:00:35+00:00

Hi Xandris,

It’s not possible to change stereo output to mono in Windows 7.

You may either go for third party players that support stereo to mono output. Alternatively you can get a Mono Plug Adapter that converts stereo to mono output.

If you want to leave any feeback about Windows 7, here's a link for that purpose.

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Note: Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

53 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-18T05:21:52+00:00

    I would like to inform you that down sampling stereo sound to mono sound is not possible since stereo sound is a standardized sound setting.

    Stereo speakers are designed to produce sound on both the speakers and there is not option to change the settings to use it as mono sound.

    Of course it is possible, you redirect the left and right audio channels to the same destination, thus the left & right audio channels are audible from each individual speaker instead of only the left audio audible from the left speaker and the Right audio audible from the right speaker.

    So both your left speaker and the right speaker produce identical audio to each other. It's pretty dumbfounding that you think there is a technical limitation in place that prevents it from occurring when in actuality the only thing that can prohibit it is artificial limitations.

    Edti: Also a lot of the suggestions so far with regards to setting the Audio Playback Device to mono or enabling "Headphone Virtualization" or something else etc. is entirely dependent on the sound device being used and the drivers that are installed for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-25T18:50:57+00:00

    I am deaf in 1 ear and this is what I was needing...a big thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-12T02:01:38+00:00

    I know this is old, but it is still the first result on Google, so I am answering this here.

    Unfortunately this isn't perfect but you can enable "Headphone virtualization" In Control Panel\Sounds\Right click -> "Name of Play Device"\Properties\Enchantments, scroll down and enable it. 

    What this setting is suppose to do is simulate surround sound with stereo speakers. The way this works is when we hear sound it hit each of our ears with slightly different timing and pitch.

    In-advert that means a slightly less quality version of what you would hear in your right ear will be played in your left ear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments