Is it possible to set stereo output to mono in Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-07-09T10:00:53+00:00

Set stereo output to mono in Windows 7

I have looked everywhere in sound settings and accessibility settings within Windows 7. I cannot find ANY settings to make the computer output the stereo sound to MONO.  I have REALTEK integrated soundcard on my Gigabyte motherboard.  I have checked in those settings as well.  The ONLY thing I have been able to do is change the balance, and that doesnt solve my problem.  You see, I am deaf in my left ear, so in stereo recordings that I am listening to with headphones on, I miss alot of the sounds within the music or movie or whatever I am listening to.  On my Mac, all I have to do is click a button in the settings, and the computer will play stereo sound through BOTH speakers, which is what I want on my PC.  I cant believe this feature isnt available in Windows 7.  Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-08-04T03:20:15+00:00

Right click on the volume icon on taskbar > Playback Devices > select the device > Configure > Choose Mono  > click next > click finish

ya theres another longer way to do this too just make it a single channel out put but still running to two speakers BAM MONO

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-16T02:00:35+00:00

Hi Xandris,

It’s not possible to change stereo output to mono in Windows 7.

You may either go for third party players that support stereo to mono output. Alternatively you can get a Mono Plug Adapter that converts stereo to mono output.

If you want to leave any feeback about Windows 7, here's a link for that purpose.

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Note: Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

53 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-04T21:18:07+00:00

    your dead wrong, mono does not exist with my windows 7 using your method.

    Mono is possible with the way I posted earlier in this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-04T03:19:00+00:00

    I posted something in reply to this you should be able to find it in this thread. I figured it out for at least most sound cards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-15T19:24:28+00:00

    Uhm, I know this post is old and all, but I was actually just looking for this subject. See my sister's stereo has a blown left channel and it misses some nuances in music and film because of this. And I'd like to inform you, that, uhm, you're actually wrong.

    It may be standardized, bit it's not impossible to get mono from stereo.

    Allow me to explain: A stereo signal is, in fact, made from two mono signals. Each of these signals carry different parts of the music, or slightly different or off-timed versions of the sound from the other channel. This creates what we in the music industry call "a spread stereo effect".

    See, we have panning for a very good reason. Let's say I was recording a guitar solo. Have you ever recorded yourself with a simple tape recorder or a semi-cheap (<$500) video camera?

    If so, you probably sounded "flat". "Boring". Maybe you played great but the fact is, a good recording of a guitar is either recorded IN stereo, where two microphones pick up the difference between the left side and the right side; Or you add echo, stereo spread, and delay through hardware or software.

    And, one last note. A mono sound system can have as many speakers as you can plug into the driver. That could be 32, if you had a powerful enough amp setup. And they could all be run on mono. Or, alternatively, you could run 16 on the left as one big left channel, and 16 on the right as one big right channel.

    As software and hardware advances ever further, we grow in the ability to use more channels simultaneously. That's why 5.1 and 7.1 exist. It's all hardware that reads digital signals, and decodes them to send six or eight different speakers six or eight different channels.

    If you don't believe me, go to music technical school. They'll tell you the same thing I just did.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments