Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error opening PDF files

Anonymous
2009-12-23T22:48:56+00:00

I am on Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have a problem trying to open PDF files either on my hard drive or via IE.  The error message I get says: 

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.2 from the internet several times, but I am still get the error.  The PDF file will open, then this error box pops up, and I have to click OK which causes it to close the PDF.

HELP!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-24T17:05:46+00:00

Hi,

This is known issue with Acrobat for several versions now, Adobe's current fix is just to update their software: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.html

The problem is with the application data being misdirected.

"The affected user has a redirected Application Data folder and as a result the network path containing the Application Data uses a UNC path that begins with \. This UNC path causes Acrobat 9.0 or Adobe Reader 9.0 to incorrectly parse the Application Data path and give the error message."

A potential Solution would be to go into the registry. Left Click type "regedit" and right click and run the program with "run as administrator". Go to Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders and make sure see where "AppData" is pointing. If it is pointing to "%UserProfile%/Application Data" change it to point to "%UserProfile%/AppData/Roaming".

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-29T18:29:25+00:00

    ---------------------------

    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

    ---------------------------

    Runtime Error!

    Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

    I got the above error on opening PDF files from internet (Windows XP).

    All I had to do was delete the temporary internet files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-27T06:19:33+00:00

    Disabling AVG toolbar worked for me on Windows 7 64 bit. I have also made the Registry alterations suggested earlier in this thread. I didn't change them back although they didn't make a difference at the time.

    How can Abode allow this to continue?

    Thanks everyone,

    DB

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-27T00:05:55+00:00

    I am on Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have a problem trying to open PDF files either on my hard drive or via IE.  The error message I get says: 

    "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

    Runtime Error!

    Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

    Please contact the application's support team for more information."

    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.2 from the internet several times, but I am still get the error.  The PDF file will open, then this error box pops up, and I have to click OK which causes it to close the PDF.

    HELP!

    1. Exit all programs including internet explorer.
    2. Click Start. Type the following command in the start search box and then press enter. inetcpl.cpl. The internet Options box appears.
    3. Click the advanced Tab
    4. Under Internet Explorer settings, click Reset.Then click reset again.

    Click to select the Delete personal settings check box if you would like to remove browsing history,search providers,Accelerators,home pages,Tracking Protection and active X Filtering Data.

    1. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings/ click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer settings box.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-26T19:34:55+00:00

    Steve Upstar Superstar!!!

    Disabling the AVG Toolbar worked for me and such an easy fix!

    Thanks so much!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments