Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error opening PDF files

Anonymous
2009-12-23T22:48:56+00:00

I am on Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have a problem trying to open PDF files either on my hard drive or via IE.  The error message I get says: 

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.2 from the internet several times, but I am still get the error.  The PDF file will open, then this error box pops up, and I have to click OK which causes it to close the PDF.

HELP!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-24T17:05:46+00:00

Hi,

This is known issue with Acrobat for several versions now, Adobe's current fix is just to update their software: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.html

The problem is with the application data being misdirected.

"The affected user has a redirected Application Data folder and as a result the network path containing the Application Data uses a UNC path that begins with \. This UNC path causes Acrobat 9.0 or Adobe Reader 9.0 to incorrectly parse the Application Data path and give the error message."

A potential Solution would be to go into the registry. Left Click type "regedit" and right click and run the program with "run as administrator". Go to Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders and make sure see where "AppData" is pointing. If it is pointing to "%UserProfile%/Application Data" change it to point to "%UserProfile%/AppData/Roaming".

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-03T20:46:37+00:00

    I was getting this error when opening PDF files attached to email after upgrading to Office 2010. Resolved by disabling the Exchange Connector under Add-Ins, since I don't operate in an Exchange environment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-27T11:57:35+00:00

    Thanks! Worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-01-16T09:29:29+00:00

    Does anyone know if the solution that DarkenSky gave will work with XPSP3 and Acobe Reader X?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-12-23T00:16:01+00:00

    I came across the same problem Win 7 and Adobe Reader X. Was due to a space in the user account name !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments