Album art size - Windows Media Player 12

Anonymous
2010-07-12T13:16:08+00:00

Reposting this, in the hope that someone (obviously not MS, who clearly couldn't give a damn) has an idea how to fix this

I've seen dozens of threads around teh intarnetz regarding the issue of tiny album art in Windows Media Player 12, but not found a definitive 'Yes' or 'No' to the question of whether you can get anything bigger than the pathetic 240x240 resized picture to display when you're playing a track. Is this possible? If I play tracks in Foobar or MediaMonkey (both programs which I hate, BTW) I can get the album art to display 'properly' (i.e. the actual size of the image) but cannot find how to do it in WMP12

PS: Mods - do NOT mark this question as 'answered' after some first-line muppet reads it and posts a completely unrelated 'answer' to it. Also, do not rename the question as 'how to get album art to display larger than 240x240 - I don't want it 'larger than 240x240' - I want it displayed THE ACTUAL SIZE OF THE ARTWORK - just like WMP always used to do. I thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-06T11:05:21+00:00

----UPDATE----

It seems like in Win 8/8.1/10, few of the suggested registry entries might not exist. It is safe to create those and the functionality will work as desired. Please create them as proposed in the solution below. I myself am on Win10 laptop and the WMP12 did not have those registry entries. Post creating those, everything is working as expected.

Enjoy!


Finally the problem of albumart has been resolved by ME

Take a backup before doing the prescribed steps because messing up with registry can lead to a DEAD computer.

(To take backup just click on COMPUTER under regedit.exe and then file->export->"desired filename" (might take a few minutes)

  1. Go to the registry path : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences
  2. then find the key with name "PlayerModeAlbumArtSelected" and set its "Value Data" as "0" (without qoutes)
  3. then find the key with name "ShowAlbumArt" and set its "Value Data" as "1" (without qoutes)

Now the Wimdows Media Player 12 will display the original AlbumArt which you set in the song.

Enjoy!!

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-10T10:54:00+00:00

----UPDATE----

It seems like in Win 8/8.1/10, few of the suggested registry entries might not exist. It is safe to create those and the functionality will work as desired. Please create them as proposed in the solution below. I myself am on Win10 laptop and the WMP12 did not have those registry entries. Post creating those, everything is working as expected.

Enjoy!


I found a solution for the windows-7 32-bit version wmp12 album art problem also (since the above one given by me holds good only for Windows-7 64-bi wmp12),

Here it is:

Take a backup before doing the prescribed steps because messing up with registry can lead to a DEAD computer.

(To take backup just click on COMPUTER under regedit.exe and then file->export->"desired filename" (might take a few minutes)

  1. Go to the registry path : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences
  2. then Create a key with name "PlayerModeAlbumArtSelected" and set its "Value Data" as "0" (without qoutes) (for creating, new key,right-click anywhere inside the window and select "new->DWORD (32-bit) Value")
  3. then find the key with name "ShowAlbumArt" and set its "Value Data" as "1" (without qoutes)

Now the Windows Media Player 12 will display the original AlbumArt which you had set in the song.

Enjoy!!

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-24T11:09:08+00:00

    My problem fixed, by un-install and re-install 'WMP Tag Plus'. All my music files are FLAC format. Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-24T09:14:28+00:00

    I wonder if anyone has same 'Album art size' problem as I have?

    Windows 7 8 &10 WMP Album art size by change "ShowAlbumArt" setting to (1) to enable big Art work displayed before. Recently window 10 auto update reset the setting back to (0). And WMP Album art size can display 200x200 only. I tried all I can, but can't set the "ShowAlbumArt" to (1) anymore.

    Any solution for this? Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-07-01T12:31:03+00:00

    Agreed....I pointed out the same thing in another similar thread a while back. I think the current size (200x200) was set back in xp days (or possibly even earlier) when hard drives were much smaller (so file size was an issue) and screen resolutions were lower. It seems the only way to change this is by tinkering with the registry and it comes down to whether you are prepared to do that just to be able to see a bigger image. Personally - not for me! - R.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments