Windows Media Center IR Hardware not detected

Anonymous
2009-07-06T09:33:04+00:00

Hi,  I'm getting stuck at the "IR Hardward not detected" when trying to set up TV.

I'm in Australia and have a wireless component receiving my digital signal from another room.  www.cocoonsystems.com.au  I'm running a Haupaggue (spell?) TV tuner.  The TV tuner can view the signal coming from my cocoon via their product called WinTV.  It is viewed on the Composite connection.  (PC is a new Dell desktop with Vista loaded)

So, when I go to set up Media Center to see the signal also I conduct the following:

1.  Set up TV Signals

2.  Region Australia

3.  Choose Antenna

4.  Select Digital Terrestrial

5.  Select Yes (to view through a set top box, because the other option doesn't find my signal)

6.  It finds picture and sound playing through Composite 1, so I select this

7.  IR Hardware not detected.

Media Center will not let me by-pass step 7 if I don't have an IR connection.  I don't need my PC to change channels because I use the digital tv remote to change channels through the cocoon system.

Is there any way anyone knows that I can by-pass this annoying question of IR Hardware not detected?  I can only assume if I had my Video Camera connected through the Composite connection I would have the same problem also, as that doesn't have a remote either.

Anything I can do?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-06T19:06:30+00:00

Balibooblue,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers community forum.

The only way I know to get around the need for an IR hardware device during the setup of Media Center for TV viewing is to use a "virtual" IR device.  There is one called "Vista MCE IR Blaster" that is a file you download from the Internet that simulates an IR device.  You will have to do a search for it.  Or you can buy the hardware that Media Center is asking for relatively inexpensively online, about $20 USD.

Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Let us know if this information was helpful or if you need additional help.

Thank you,


Gloria

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-25T02:53:21+00:00

    There is a serious problem here, and Microsoft is not acknowledging it, which has left the end user without any resources. Comcast has washed its their hands of the problem and has no advice or support, on the basis that WMC "isn't their product". Funny how they support a problem with television sets, when they didn't make the TV sets. There is NOTHING more frustrating than when WMC does the test of Channel 3 or 4, and it's working fine and you can change the channel within that little box, yet you can't just get it to play on your computer because this dumb IR message is blocking you. If you are getting working picture and sound on the test, you should be able to say "ok" and be up and running. Period, the end.

    For everyone who is running out and buying additional devices because of this IR message, I hate to tell you, but in my experience, it was unnecessary. If you have a Sony VAIO all in one or modern computer and have what WMC calls a set-top box, that is more than enough. The IR message is a bug in this program. On both my Vista VAIO and my current Win 7 VAIO, I had to put in INCORRECT ANSWERS to what the setup was asking me in order to get WMC to skip past this bug and finally play. As to what you have to put in, you have to select manual configuration, then play around and try different answers to see what works. I discovered I could not say I had a set-top box even though I did, because that dumped me into the IR garbage pail. Then I had to choose whether to put cable, satellite or antenna. As you can imagine, this process has taken hours every time. And for what?? Why should people have to go through this??

    As more and more people are watching TV on their computers, I wonder when either Microsoft is finally going to have enough pressure put on it to fix this. They have a nerve creating something and not leaving the public any way to contact them, but rather leaving people to just pull their hair out and talk amongst themselves to deal with their mess.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-25T15:30:22+00:00

    maddogcr.... thank you very much!

    it works!

    thanks im from mexico

    you help me so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-16T20:56:33+00:00

    I was going crazy trying to get media center to play nice with my DTA. Nothing worked until I tried your solution. Thanx so much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-28T16:13:08+00:00

    download the file here

    http://www.myhava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1361

    it has the instructions

    Install a driver manually.

    The 'Add Hardware Wizard' is still included in windows 7 just hidden

    type hdwwiz in the search box and hit enter to get to it .. tested on windows 7 pro worked first time

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments