HDMI Audio not detected

Anonymous
2010-01-08T02:36:28+00:00

HDMI Audio showing up as "not plugged in" - what gives?

Alright, so I'm having all sorts of issues here. I've gotten myself a Netflix account, and I decided I wanted to watch things on my HDTV via my laptop. I got an HDMI cable and an Audio Cable (just in case since I've heard my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1526, has issues with the audio and needed a cable) and tried to go. I plugged the HDMI cable in, got the video up and running in no time, but no sound. I went to activate it and saw that the HDMI audio device was "not plugged in." I have no idea why that was, but I looked around online. A few people mentioned uninstalling the high definition audio device then doing the scan for updates and that would fix the issue.

Well, I did that, and then the update (simply the same high def audio device) wouldn't install at all when I did the scan. It came up saying it hadn't installed properly. So, I can't get it to work at all. I tried using the audio cable and that didn't work either. What gives?!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-09T02:11:01+00:00

Hi warrenjt,

Check out the manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of audio and video drivers.

Also check in the Device Manager to see if the HDMI Output is set as default device. This should solve the issue.

Method 1: Follow these steps to set the device as Default Device

  1. Click on Start-> Control Panel-> Click on Hardware and Sound-> Now click on Sound.
  2. Now under the Playback tab-> Right click in the blank space-> Select both "Show Disabled devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
  3. Now right Click on HDMI Output. Click on Properties-> Under the General tab click on "Device Usage" and select "Use this Device:(enable)". Click Apply. Click OK.
  4. Repeat Step 1 and in the step 2 -> Under the Playback tab-> Click on HDMI Output and “Set as Default”.

5. Click Apply. Click OK.

Also check out the following link which addresses the similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/01836258-d6a9-4199-bb56-b0f2c3d75fb8

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-30T14:59:24+00:00

    It's coming up as "not plugged in." He can't select it as a default device when it is coming in as "not plugged in." Why is Windows support so horribly lacking in logic.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-31T14:23:56+00:00

    if i cant even set the hdmi output to default ? how to solve it ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-01T15:39:10+00:00

    Remove the HDMI device and reboot.  If you have to hit <Windowskey Break> and remove it from the Device Manager.  

    Windows will put it back.  At the tail end.  

    When you write a device driver you grab the current Jump Vector for the device, do your thing, then JUMP TO THE ORIGINAL JUMP VECTOR.  Something that was not done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-03T14:25:45+00:00

    I have the same issue. I looked for some answers that can help but none of them did. When I select both "**Show Disabled Devices"**and "Show Disconnected Devices" theres no HDMI. Just my computer speakers and headphones. I have all the latest updates on my computer. Evereything is working fine. Usually when I connected my computer with TV it worked. But now the sound is not coming from the TV, but from my computer. Can anyone help me? Sorry if I made some mistakes. English is not my primary language.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments