HDMI Audio not detected

Anonymous
2010-01-08T02:36:28+00:00

HDMI Audio showing up as "not plugged in" - what gives?

Alright, so I'm having all sorts of issues here. I've gotten myself a Netflix account, and I decided I wanted to watch things on my HDTV via my laptop. I got an HDMI cable and an Audio Cable (just in case since I've heard my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1526, has issues with the audio and needed a cable) and tried to go. I plugged the HDMI cable in, got the video up and running in no time, but no sound. I went to activate it and saw that the HDMI audio device was "not plugged in." I have no idea why that was, but I looked around online. A few people mentioned uninstalling the high definition audio device then doing the scan for updates and that would fix the issue.

Well, I did that, and then the update (simply the same high def audio device) wouldn't install at all when I did the scan. It came up saying it hadn't installed properly. So, I can't get it to work at all. I tried using the audio cable and that didn't work either. What gives?!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-09T02:11:01+00:00

Hi warrenjt,

Check out the manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of audio and video drivers.

Also check in the Device Manager to see if the HDMI Output is set as default device. This should solve the issue.

Method 1: Follow these steps to set the device as Default Device

  1. Click on Start-> Control Panel-> Click on Hardware and Sound-> Now click on Sound.
  2. Now under the Playback tab-> Right click in the blank space-> Select both "Show Disabled devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
  3. Now right Click on HDMI Output. Click on Properties-> Under the General tab click on "Device Usage" and select "Use this Device:(enable)". Click Apply. Click OK.
  4. Repeat Step 1 and in the step 2 -> Under the Playback tab-> Click on HDMI Output and “Set as Default”.

5. Click Apply. Click OK.

Also check out the following link which addresses the similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/01836258-d6a9-4199-bb56-b0f2c3d75fb8

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-17T21:45:13+00:00

    If I had a single HDMI hookup for audio/video this would be a valid resolution for me, but since it seems that every time I switch to a different audio/video input the hdmi audio get's disabled and not detected when I switch A/V back over to the windows system.  Everytime I switch A/V inputs I end up having to walk over and disconnect/reconnect an hdmi cable... while this isn't the end of the world it does make my experience annoying enough to look for alternatives.

    Looks like it's finally time for me to check out an open source OS for this HTPC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-18T03:08:47+00:00

    I solved the problem.  I went to The Device manager (windows key break) and disabled the driver for Realtek High Definition Audio.  After rebooting all I had was the AMD  High Definition Audio.  I re-enabled the Realtek High Definition Audio driver in the Device Manager and now everything works great.

    I think I had to 'Show disabled devices' again.

    I think the writers of the Realtek High Definition Audio driver assumed there would be no other driver necessary.  So he failed to pass on the jump vector.  Putting the AMD  High Definition Audio device driver first solved the problem.

    Normally when you make a driver you have it take the current jump vector from the jump vector table.  Then when it's time to leave your driver you jump to the original vector.  You don't just end the routine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-08T07:50:13+00:00

    vc50er,

    Thanks for your post. I found that all I had to do to fix my problem was download the AMD Catalyst Software the comes with the AMD HDMI Audio Driver. I installed this and restarted the computer. Everything is working great now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-26T20:45:37+00:00

    this fixed it for me. thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments