HDMI Audio not detected

Anonymous
2010-01-08T02:36:28+00:00

HDMI Audio showing up as "not plugged in" - what gives?

Alright, so I'm having all sorts of issues here. I've gotten myself a Netflix account, and I decided I wanted to watch things on my HDTV via my laptop. I got an HDMI cable and an Audio Cable (just in case since I've heard my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1526, has issues with the audio and needed a cable) and tried to go. I plugged the HDMI cable in, got the video up and running in no time, but no sound. I went to activate it and saw that the HDMI audio device was "not plugged in." I have no idea why that was, but I looked around online. A few people mentioned uninstalling the high definition audio device then doing the scan for updates and that would fix the issue.

Well, I did that, and then the update (simply the same high def audio device) wouldn't install at all when I did the scan. It came up saying it hadn't installed properly. So, I can't get it to work at all. I tried using the audio cable and that didn't work either. What gives?!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-09T02:11:01+00:00

Hi warrenjt,

Check out the manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of audio and video drivers.

Also check in the Device Manager to see if the HDMI Output is set as default device. This should solve the issue.

Method 1: Follow these steps to set the device as Default Device

  1. Click on Start-> Control Panel-> Click on Hardware and Sound-> Now click on Sound.
  2. Now under the Playback tab-> Right click in the blank space-> Select both "Show Disabled devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
  3. Now right Click on HDMI Output. Click on Properties-> Under the General tab click on "Device Usage" and select "Use this Device:(enable)". Click Apply. Click OK.
  4. Repeat Step 1 and in the step 2 -> Under the Playback tab-> Click on HDMI Output and “Set as Default”.

5. Click Apply. Click OK.

Also check out the following link which addresses the similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/01836258-d6a9-4199-bb56-b0f2c3d75fb8

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-25T19:01:39+00:00

    Firewall99, I Totally agree with you.

    I have the same problem in a Toshiba  Satellite T115D netbook.

    It has AMD Athlon (AMD) Neo X2 Dual Core Processor L325, ATI radeon HD 3200 Graphics display adapter and Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. The Audio Dgital Output has a Conexant Audio Driver For MAD HDMI Codec.

    I did all the recommendatons but the message is the same "Not plugged in".

    Anyone know if using another operating system it works well?

    Thanks in advance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-09T08:33:37+00:00

    I have this exact same issue, and it definitely seems to be a windows issue.

    The problem for me resides in the fact that I cannot seem to find any way to enable HDMI solely for audio, windows seems to require video to be fed at the same time. If I disable video to a device that I have HDMI to the audio properties become greyed out "not plugged in" and you cannot use the audio.

    However this cannot be fixed by simply enabling video. As you need to either extend the desktop to this 'phantom' device (currently I want audio through my amp, and an amp certainly doesn't need video) or to duplicate display. Duplicate display certainly does not work as your then limited to HDMI resolution, and my monitor displays much higher than that.

    Extending display sort of works. But then my mouse can often become lost on the second phantom display and take a few seconds to find... hardly ideal.

    Is there anyway to enable HDMI audio within windows without being forced to pretend it is a monitor. Surely some microsoft tech would of foreseen the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-09T02:38:56+00:00

    HDMI sound

    To transfer the PC sound to your Sony TV (or any other):

    1.    Install the latest drivers for your sound card

    2.    Connect the HDMI cable from PC to the assigned TV HDMI PC output

    3.    With the TV off, restart your PC

    4.    Control Panel > Sound > Playback and the HDMI should be there

    5.    Right click the HDMI output and select Test; the soundbar will move

    6.    Classify the HDMI as Default Device

    7.    While there change the icon to a TV and rename as Sony HDMI Output

    8.    Turn on the TV and select the assigned HDMI PC jack for the input

    9.    Test again; the sound will come from the TV

    10.Any reconnection will need the TV turned off

    11.On: PC then TV; Off: TV then PC. Always remember the TV HDMI PC position.

     Efrain Morales

     

    This DID work for me...  I have it working now on a Panasonic TV in a hotel room.  It was having the same issue on my Samsung at home.  I'll try it again when I get back.  I DO believe this is the correct answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments