HDMI Audio not detected

Anonymous
2010-01-08T02:36:28+00:00

HDMI Audio showing up as "not plugged in" - what gives?

Alright, so I'm having all sorts of issues here. I've gotten myself a Netflix account, and I decided I wanted to watch things on my HDTV via my laptop. I got an HDMI cable and an Audio Cable (just in case since I've heard my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1526, has issues with the audio and needed a cable) and tried to go. I plugged the HDMI cable in, got the video up and running in no time, but no sound. I went to activate it and saw that the HDMI audio device was "not plugged in." I have no idea why that was, but I looked around online. A few people mentioned uninstalling the high definition audio device then doing the scan for updates and that would fix the issue.

Well, I did that, and then the update (simply the same high def audio device) wouldn't install at all when I did the scan. It came up saying it hadn't installed properly. So, I can't get it to work at all. I tried using the audio cable and that didn't work either. What gives?!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-09T02:11:01+00:00

Hi warrenjt,

Check out the manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of audio and video drivers.

Also check in the Device Manager to see if the HDMI Output is set as default device. This should solve the issue.

Method 1: Follow these steps to set the device as Default Device

  1. Click on Start-> Control Panel-> Click on Hardware and Sound-> Now click on Sound.
  2. Now under the Playback tab-> Right click in the blank space-> Select both "Show Disabled devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
  3. Now right Click on HDMI Output. Click on Properties-> Under the General tab click on "Device Usage" and select "Use this Device:(enable)". Click Apply. Click OK.
  4. Repeat Step 1 and in the step 2 -> Under the Playback tab-> Click on HDMI Output and “Set as Default”.

5. Click Apply. Click OK.

Also check out the following link which addresses the similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/01836258-d6a9-4199-bb56-b0f2c3d75fb8

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-30T16:22:41+00:00

    What i did to fix it was go into device manager. find the HDMI device under sound, video, game controllers, right click and goto properties, disable device, then enable devices. HOPE THIS HELPS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-09T18:24:56+00:00

    I had the same issue after Windows 10 upgrade... It immediately detected and used video, but the audio device always showed as Not Plugged In.  I tried somebody's suggestion to use Device Manager, uninstall audio card drivers, reboot, reinstall, then plug in HDMI.  But still it showed as Not Plugged In.  What solved it for me was doing the same thing with the video drivers (my system has both an Intel driver and a GEForce 540M driver.  I uninstalled them both (and included the remove driver files option), then rebooted.  I went back to Device Manager and selected Update Driver on each of the video drivers, rebooted and now it is detecting the audio device and outputting normally.  Hope this helps some people.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-14T06:43:41+00:00

    yea... that didn't work for me.. it won't let me select default device.. I've tried various drivers all to no avail...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-12T10:34:58+00:00

    there is no 'hardware and sound' option in the control panel on windows 10! how do i find this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments