HDMI Audio not detected

Anonymous
2010-01-08T02:36:28+00:00

HDMI Audio showing up as "not plugged in" - what gives?

Alright, so I'm having all sorts of issues here. I've gotten myself a Netflix account, and I decided I wanted to watch things on my HDTV via my laptop. I got an HDMI cable and an Audio Cable (just in case since I've heard my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1526, has issues with the audio and needed a cable) and tried to go. I plugged the HDMI cable in, got the video up and running in no time, but no sound. I went to activate it and saw that the HDMI audio device was "not plugged in." I have no idea why that was, but I looked around online. A few people mentioned uninstalling the high definition audio device then doing the scan for updates and that would fix the issue.

Well, I did that, and then the update (simply the same high def audio device) wouldn't install at all when I did the scan. It came up saying it hadn't installed properly. So, I can't get it to work at all. I tried using the audio cable and that didn't work either. What gives?!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-09T02:11:01+00:00

Hi warrenjt,

Check out the manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of audio and video drivers.

Also check in the Device Manager to see if the HDMI Output is set as default device. This should solve the issue.

Method 1: Follow these steps to set the device as Default Device

  1. Click on Start-> Control Panel-> Click on Hardware and Sound-> Now click on Sound.
  2. Now under the Playback tab-> Right click in the blank space-> Select both "Show Disabled devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
  3. Now right Click on HDMI Output. Click on Properties-> Under the General tab click on "Device Usage" and select "Use this Device:(enable)". Click Apply. Click OK.
  4. Repeat Step 1 and in the step 2 -> Under the Playback tab-> Click on HDMI Output and “Set as Default”.

5. Click Apply. Click OK.

Also check out the following link which addresses the similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/01836258-d6a9-4199-bb56-b0f2c3d75fb8

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-25T10:46:23+00:00

    it doesn't work 4 me i have the same problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-19T17:04:06+00:00

    ummm i think i found an easyer way than bios settings? I guess that all the people that had this kind of problem are using tv, i had it working by just changing the displayed name in my LG tv, from HDMI to monitor pc. Try this out and let me know if this worked for someone else too

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-29T03:46:10+00:00

    You SAVED me! Thanks for the input. Who would ever think to click in a blank area to find more setting? I clicked in the white are and found the enable/disabled device are.  Thx so much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-08T17:36:35+00:00

    It is unclear what version of Windows everyone is running here as this area applies to multiple versions. 

    I had this problem in Win8.1.  My resolution was to force a full shutdown/restart.

    Instructions can be found here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/force-full-shutdown-fully-reinitialize-windows-8

    The same should work on Win 7.  In short, open a command prompt with admin privs and use:

    shutdown /s /f /t 0

    My problem was caused by unplugging the onboard HDMI and plugging into my video card's HDMI.  I assume since the EDID matched, Windows went with the first entry (onboard) and wouldn't recognize the second entry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments