HDMI Audio not detected

Anonymous
2010-01-08T02:36:28+00:00

HDMI Audio showing up as "not plugged in" - what gives?

Alright, so I'm having all sorts of issues here. I've gotten myself a Netflix account, and I decided I wanted to watch things on my HDTV via my laptop. I got an HDMI cable and an Audio Cable (just in case since I've heard my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1526, has issues with the audio and needed a cable) and tried to go. I plugged the HDMI cable in, got the video up and running in no time, but no sound. I went to activate it and saw that the HDMI audio device was "not plugged in." I have no idea why that was, but I looked around online. A few people mentioned uninstalling the high definition audio device then doing the scan for updates and that would fix the issue.

Well, I did that, and then the update (simply the same high def audio device) wouldn't install at all when I did the scan. It came up saying it hadn't installed properly. So, I can't get it to work at all. I tried using the audio cable and that didn't work either. What gives?!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-09T02:11:01+00:00

Hi warrenjt,

Check out the manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of audio and video drivers.

Also check in the Device Manager to see if the HDMI Output is set as default device. This should solve the issue.

Method 1: Follow these steps to set the device as Default Device

  1. Click on Start-> Control Panel-> Click on Hardware and Sound-> Now click on Sound.
  2. Now under the Playback tab-> Right click in the blank space-> Select both "Show Disabled devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
  3. Now right Click on HDMI Output. Click on Properties-> Under the General tab click on "Device Usage" and select "Use this Device:(enable)". Click Apply. Click OK.
  4. Repeat Step 1 and in the step 2 -> Under the Playback tab-> Click on HDMI Output and “Set as Default”.

5. Click Apply. Click OK.

Also check out the following link which addresses the similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/01836258-d6a9-4199-bb56-b0f2c3d75fb8

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2011-03-03T16:16:59+00:00

    These people haven't a clue to what we are experiencing. 

    It's not PowerDVD, either, as much as I would like to blame CyberLink for all the time I wasted on them.  (I gave up, too, and bought a dedicated blu-ray player.)

    This HDMI audio problem is a Windows issue ____

    Windows does it with ATI, with nVidia, and even with Microsoft's own HDMI driver.  It does it in Vista and Windows 7.  It does it in 32-bit and 64-bit.

    Somehow the signal going from the PC to the external device (TV or AV amp) is not synchronizing or handshaking or whatever it is that hardware communications devices need to do.

    This has been a bug for almost a year.  Why is it so hard to fix?

    Hint:  MICROSOFT, ARE YOU EVEN WORKING ON IT?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-03-03T16:03:29+00:00

    This does not work.

    The result is no change.  Still is grayed out and showing "Not Plugged In."

    I even tried cycling the enable /disable function.  No go.

    Could this be a chipset driver issue?  If so, which chip controls these functions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-30T02:35:13+00:00

    Now, I've determined what my proble was at last. It's about licensed software and hardware incompatabilty. Both my ATI 5450 gfx and PowerDVD v10 carry the logos for Dolby Digital True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. This means that I've paid the developers of both products for the right to listen to the HD soundtracks of Blu-ray discs as bitstreamed (ie uncompressed) audio. I paid the manufacturer of my Marantz digital amp for the same privelige. PowerDVD 10 however, does not run on machines using the ATI5450. Interestingly, this is information that only becomes available after buying the software. I had to completely remove PowerDVD 10 from my Windows 7 64-bit machine before I could get it to recognise the HDMI Audio correctly. Once PowerDVD 10 was gone everything was back to normal - if you can call it that. I've paid every man and his dog to play Blu-ray discs on my PC, but unless I upgrade to a much more expensive, more power-hungry and noisy (they have on-board cooling) ATI 5xxxx video card, which I dont need, its not going to happen. I could try another software package (apparently Power DVD is considered inferior may some) but since I've already paid $100 and there is no guarantee that another package would work any better, I've given up. For $158, I have bought a Sony Blu-ray player - it works a treat. If anyone hears how to play Blu-ray sucessfully on a PC with bitstreamed audio to their digital amp, I'd be interested to hear about it. Freddie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments