HDMI Audio not detected

Anonymous
2010-01-08T02:36:28+00:00

HDMI Audio showing up as "not plugged in" - what gives?

Alright, so I'm having all sorts of issues here. I've gotten myself a Netflix account, and I decided I wanted to watch things on my HDTV via my laptop. I got an HDMI cable and an Audio Cable (just in case since I've heard my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1526, has issues with the audio and needed a cable) and tried to go. I plugged the HDMI cable in, got the video up and running in no time, but no sound. I went to activate it and saw that the HDMI audio device was "not plugged in." I have no idea why that was, but I looked around online. A few people mentioned uninstalling the high definition audio device then doing the scan for updates and that would fix the issue.

Well, I did that, and then the update (simply the same high def audio device) wouldn't install at all when I did the scan. It came up saying it hadn't installed properly. So, I can't get it to work at all. I tried using the audio cable and that didn't work either. What gives?!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-09T02:11:01+00:00

Hi warrenjt,

Check out the manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of audio and video drivers.

Also check in the Device Manager to see if the HDMI Output is set as default device. This should solve the issue.

Method 1: Follow these steps to set the device as Default Device

  1. Click on Start-> Control Panel-> Click on Hardware and Sound-> Now click on Sound.
  2. Now under the Playback tab-> Right click in the blank space-> Select both "Show Disabled devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
  3. Now right Click on HDMI Output. Click on Properties-> Under the General tab click on "Device Usage" and select "Use this Device:(enable)". Click Apply. Click OK.
  4. Repeat Step 1 and in the step 2 -> Under the Playback tab-> Click on HDMI Output and “Set as Default”.

5. Click Apply. Click OK.

Also check out the following link which addresses the similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/01836258-d6a9-4199-bb56-b0f2c3d75fb8

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-11-15T02:14:28+00:00

    So, when step 4: HDMI isn't there...

    I have an Intel Broadwell NUC (5i5RYK) with Windows 10 installed on it, connected to an HDMI monitor with speakers.

    At first, everything was fine, for months, then one day the audio went away - I installed Intel's special video driver and the HDMI sound came back for a few weeks, now it's gone again.  I suppose I can reinstall the Intel video driver and it might come back, but come on people - this is Microsoft's latest operating system installed on Intel's most numerous/standard PC, how hard is it to keep the sound working?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-15T11:45:16+00:00

    So what if the HDMI device is not a disconnected device or a disabled device (HDMI cord works as visual get through), I have tried using the trouble shooting program and got nothing, have used it and it has work before.

    Dell Inspiron 15 7000

    geforce gtx 960M

    i7-6700HQ

    8 GB RAM

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-18T14:13:04+00:00

    This is the trouble with monopoly, Windows can release a sub standard product and its up to everyone to solve the bugs while windows gets paid. 

    Why should the end user lose functionalities, time and emotional stress because Windows corp has an agenda? Its not called change, it is called BULLYING BY MONOPOLY.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-02T01:45:44+00:00

    I have solved my HDMI audio problem. Right click on the speaker and select "Volume Control Options"

    I found my HDMI audio was not enabled.  

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments