How Do I delete or clear redundant network profiles (names) from my desktop and laptop running Windows 7?

Anonymous
2010-02-04T15:07:44+00:00

With Verizon DSL modem in bridge and Linksys WRT 160N as a router, my desktop and laptop were in a network.  Laptop and printer connected via wireless and desktop by cable.  The network name used to be the same for all connected devices.  However, when my Linksys gave up the ghost a week ago, I reconnected via the Verizon router/modem combination Actiontec WRT704G and ever since I could not print from the laptop, and it takes about 5 minutes to print 2 pages from my desktop.  The network name on my desktop defaults automatically to Network 4, and on the laptop, it has '2' after the old netwok name.  With different network names, I couldn't set up my homegroup.  But I do have access to the internet on both computers.  The network name (SSID) on the router config site and on the printer is the same - the old network name without the '2'.  

I need help or advice on how to clear or delete these other network names and just have 1 network name for all connected devices.  I know that under Vista, you could merge or delete network profiles but  can't seem to find a way to do it in Windows 7.  By the way, my laptop is on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit, and the desktop on Home Premiun 64 bit.

Thanks,

Pejuson

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-12T08:33:26+00:00

To merge, delete, rename or change the icon for network locations in Windows 7....

  1. Open the "Control Panel"
  2. Select and open "Network and Sharing Center"

3)Click on the "Icon"(a house icon for me) under "View your active networks". This will open the "Set Network Properties" dialogue. Here you can rename a network connection or change the icon for that network connection.

4)Click on "Merge or Delete Network Locations" to see a list of stored network connections. You can merge or delete connections here as well as see if a network connection is in use and managed or unmanaged.

I found the need for this myself as I had my current internet connection being called out as "Network 4". I wanted to find out what happened to Networks 1,2 & 3. I deleted all but my active Network as this is a Desktop system with one internet connection. I renamed it From Network 4 to my ISP's name.


-Eric

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-05T13:21:36+00:00

Hi pejuson,

To remove redundant network profiles from your computer, you may follow the steps mentioned below and check.

1.       Open Manage Wireless Networks by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type wireless, and then click Manage wireless networks.

2.       Right-click the network profile you want to modify, and then click Properties.

3.       Make the desired changes, and then click OK.

For more information see Create or modify network profiles.

Hope this information helps you.

Regards


Yaaser - Microsoft Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-27T19:47:55+00:00

    Thanks Eric, I wish there was a way to create a link at the top taking you directly to Eric's response, simple, effective and correct 100%. No need for regedit, no need to read all other lengthy junk I mean absolutely junk because they did not even understood the question. You are a star Eric, and shame on support people too. Thanks again Eric.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-25T22:57:16+00:00

    A couple of notes, as I also fought this problem.

    ** I AM USING WINDOWS 8 ** which "loses" some of the options for solving these problems that existed in Windows 7.

    1. WIRELESS NETWORK PROFILES

    If you are seeing the "number" in your Wireless Network Name, e.g.

    "MY HOME WIRELESS 2"

    in the wireless indicator in the Windows 8 status or charms

    This is the WIRELESS NETWORK PROFILE.

    Open a command prompt.

    NETSH WLAN SHOW PROFILES

    You will see the offending profile

    NETSH WLAN DELETE PROFILE "xxxxx"

    Quotes required if there are spaces.  Case sensitive.

    Fixed.

    1. NETWORK PROFILES

    If the wireless network profile shows the correct name, but after you're connected you see the number when you hover over the wireless signal icon in your system tray, e.g.

    "MY HOME WIRELESS 2"

    this is the network profile created by network services, including Network Location Awareness.

    This latter problem, #2, is the one I just tried to solve.  There is a registry key, [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles]

    inside of which there is a key for each network profile that's been created.  They are created automatically.  Simply changing your router (even with identical configuration) can cause a new profile to be created.

    I DELETED the offending key within the Profiles key.  Standard registry editing caveats/warnings exist: this is risky, BACK UP the system and/or the registry key before making the change; create a system restore point before making the change; only do this if you know what you're doing...  But all that said, it worked for me.

    Dan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-04T10:26:11+00:00

    Does anyone knows a command line for this procedure?

    How is the command with "netsh"?

    Where are the data saved for creating a script?

    Markus

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments