Windows Vista Blue Screen 0x0000116 nvlddmkm.sys

Anonymous
2008-12-25T10:53:44+00:00

**Original Title**nvlddmkm.sys causes BSOD

Hi,

I can't start Vista since a week or so. Just before the login screen should apear, it crashes into a BSOD, reporting that the problem is the nvlddmkm.sys driver.

I've been checking the Internet for days now (a lot of forums), and it seems to be a "common" problem, occuring with all kinds hardware and software configurations. I've tried just about everything to fix it, but nothing seems to work.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Maarten

Compaq Presario SR1909, gForce 7600GS, Vista Home Premium.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-15T16:20:42+00:00

Hi Maarte61,

  Sorry to your having so much trouble. Since your having the same issue even when the driver was rolled back, it leads me to believe even more so, that it could be card itself. You might try contacting the cards manufacturer. We could rule this out though, if you have another video card we can try. Do you have one you could test?

Thanks again,


Jason

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-12T13:20:21+00:00

Hi Maarte61,

 Unfortunately, my guess would be the driver or the card itself. Since it worked fine for while, then just stopped. My best guess would be the card's the issue. Can you cancel the driver install when you get to normal mode? If so, I would try canceling it and downloading the new driver. Or if your in "Safe mode with networking" I'd go ahead and download them them and have them ready. So if you can cancel, you wouldn't have to go download them. Let us know and thanks again for posting.

Thanks,


Jason

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-05-03T19:32:23+00:00

    Failure again.  Checkerboard with green boxes.  Then blue screen indicating nvlddmkm.sys.  Going to Windows XP to see if it can be narrowed down to a hardware failure.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-05-01T01:14:33+00:00

    For my D630 with Quadro NVS 135m video, 4G RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit I started to get the nvlddmkm.sys BSOD problem a week ago.  After reading many, many thread posts from many people with the problem these are the steps that have made my system stable so far today.  I run this machine docked at work with a Dell 24" LCD.

    Upgrade BIOS from A13 to A17 (latest).  This was suggested on an NVIDIA page prior to using the latest driver on this laptop for better fan control.

    Boot into safe mode with networking.  Delete the video driver.

    Boot into safe mode again.  Windows auto detected the video card and installed the generic vga driver.  Searching shows the nvlddmkm.sys file is not present in the drivers folder.

    • I used this setup for half a day until the video screwed up (lines of color everywhere).

    Installed the Dell provided NVIDIA driver:  7.15.11.7968, 3/11/2009

    • This seemed to work okay so I went for the driver upgrade...

    Upgraded to the latest NVIDIA driver:  197.16, 03/16/2010

    • This morning Windows 7 would not load the video card, I was stuck in 640x480 resolution.

    Rolled back to the Dell provided driver:  7.15.11.7968, 3/11/2009.  Confirmed this was same version in nvlddmkm.sys with a right click to properties, then Details tab.

    • So far I've been stable all day.

    NOTE:  The original driver version that was installed when this started was 8.17.11.9562, 11/20/2009

    I'll provide an update if the situation changes...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-30T17:19:24+00:00

    Wow a really long and old thread.  Yet no answer as I struggle to resolve the same issue with my Dell D630 with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments