Unable to capture video from Sony DCR-HC26 digital camera

Anonymous
2009-12-27T05:52:59+00:00

I have replaced a Windows XP PC with a new PC running Windows 7 Home Premium and I have not been able to connect my DCR-HC26 Sony Handycam digital tape camera to the new PC.  I'm using an I-link (firewire) cable.  The camera seems to be recognised by the PC as a Sony DCR-HC26E, but when trying to capture video the following message is shown: "Cannot find the Handycam (Tape). Check the i.LINK connection to the Handycam." I suspect a driver type of problem is the cause but I've run out of ideas as to how to fix this problem.  Any ideas??

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-24T03:58:23+00:00

Cari,

I'm not clear on your suggestion.

1.  When you say 'entry for firewire (IEEE1394)', do you mean 'entry for IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers'?

2.  When you say ''LEGACY driver', what is that and where do I get a 'LEGACY driver'?  (I clicked on Properties for the Texas Instrument 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller and could not find anything that said 'LEGACY'.)

Bruce

Hi, may be I can answer this question.

  1. Double Click the IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers you can find the device call "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller"
  2. Highlight the "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" right mouse click "Update Driver Software".
  3. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
  4. At the bottom of the window select "Let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer"
  5. You can select the "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" as the driver and then click "Next"
  6. Done

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-19T13:00:01+00:00

    Is anyone moderating this forum?  It appears to me that there are numerous problems with firewire cards and Windows 7.  I would like to at least see that Microsoft is acknowledging this and is working on it.  I have tried everything I can think of to get this to work, including your suggestions.  I've changed from 4pin/6pin connection to 4pin/4pin, I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled the legacy driver, I've moved the card from one slot down to a lower slot, I even got a replacement firewire card (the same one from the manufacturer) and it still does not work.  I think this is a problem with Windows 7, I've seen many problems with firewire cards that have not been addressed by Microsoft, starting with Windows Vista and continuing with Windows 7.  My problem actually started with Vista.  I was able to upload some video in May when I had Vista.  In August I tried again and I couldn't do it.  Since then I've upgrade to Windows 7 and I continue to have problems.  When I turn on the camcorder, I get the DV IN message on my camcorder, but the PC does not recognize it.  When I open up Movie Maker it can not find the device.  Again, I have a Rosewill RC-501 firewire card, a Sony DCR-TRV19 camcorder and Windows 7 32 bit OS.  Can you at least tell me that Microsoft is looking into this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-16T00:46:52+00:00

    I too am having the identical problem.  In fact, I have 2 Dell XPS M1330s laptops.  One runs Windows XP; one I recently upgraded to Windows 7.  Before the upgrade, both computers could upload video from my Sony DCR-HC36 via I-Link (1394 interface).  After the upgrade, the Windows 7 computer no longer sees the camera.  The device manager shows a working fireware interface and a current driver, but the Windows 7 computer can not see the camera.  Help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-07T16:59:38+00:00

    I too am having firewire connection problems.  It initially started with Windows Vista.  I have a Rosewell 501 firewire card and it initially worked.  It worked last April, but has since stopped working.  I have been using the Windows video capture program (Windows Movie Maker).  Since then I have upgraded to Windows 7, 32 bit and I am still having the same problem.  I've changed my firewire cable using 4 pin to 4 pin.  I also did the registry hack described in Article ID: 927827.  In device manager the firewire card indicates that it is working properly and that the latest drivers are installed.  When I turn on the camera (a sony dcr-trv19), I get the DV IN on the camera, but there is no bing or when I look in Windows Live Essential Movie Maker, it can not locate the device.   I've been searching on the internet for a fix and have not found one that works.  The manufacturer is of no help since they say that it should work with the drivers supplied in windows, they seem to think it is a problem with Windows Live Essential Movie Maker.  I've removed the card, rebooted and re-installed the card and rebooted.  The card shows up and seems to be working properly according to device manager, but Movie Maker can not find it.  The only device that it can find is my Epson printer/scanner.  Is this a bug and Microsoft has not yet published it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-12-28T02:13:46+00:00

    Hi,

    Welcome to Microsoft answers.

    Which video capture software are you using?

    Which version of Operating System are you using 32bit or 64bit?

    Use only 4pin to 4pin Firewire cable.

    Use any FIREWIRE PCI card with at least one 4pin firewire socket. When installed Windows7 will install driver automatically just confirm that "IEEE 1394 bus host controller" entry is shown in Device manager or not.

    I suggest you to try connecting any other device with the cable to make sure that the cable is not faulty.

    You can also try updating the latest drivers for the firmware card and check if it helps.

    I also suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps:

    a) Remove BATTERY from camera and switch on with AC Adaptor

    b) Put it on PLAY/EDIT mode (also called VCR mode).

    c) Connect 4pin to 4pin firewire cable on camera side and in firewire PCI Card. Now you see the words DV-IN on LCD of camera, if LCD is open.

    d) Now start any Video Capture Software of your choice. You will find CAPTURE command in FILE menu in almost all softwares.

    I also suggest you to contact the manufacturer for more information.

    Please respond back on the status of the issue, and let us know if you have any issues.

    Thanks and Regards,

    Azam – Microsoft Support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments