I am having this issue or atleast a similar issue with Windows 7 (Enterprise and Professional, x64, 4Gb RAM, Intel/NEC Chipset for USB).
I cannot copy large files with any confidence to any USB drives on either my work PC (RM machine with Windows 7 x64 Enterprise, 4GB RAM Intel USB Controller) or home PC (Windows 7 x64 Professional, 4GB RAM, Intel USB Controller and NEC USB controller).
I do not experience any lock ups or system errors however large files (4GB+ for example) stand a 50/50 chance of being currupted during transfer. I have checked this repeatedly using MD5 checksums.
I also have a Windows 7 Toshiba laptop (2GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, Intel USB Controllers) and do not experience any issues at all.
It does not matter which of my many USB devices I use the problem occurs whether it's a cheap USB enclosure or a Western Digital, Maxtor external HDD. I can copy 6 files and 2 be currupted then re-copy them and have different files currupted. The file system
is fine with all disk checks reporting no issues. The filesystem does not show any issues but the files are indeed currupted. The files also report the correct size.
If I remove the HDD's from the USB enclosures and use an eSATA enclosure the problem goes away.
This appears to be the same issue as KB976972 which is as follows:
"You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM"
However this does not seem to only be an issue to nvida USB controllers.
To summarise: The affected systems both have x64 Windows 7, Both have Intel controllers (one has NEC controller too which seems to also be affected), Both have 4GB RAM. Curruption is random. All external HDD's are using NTFS (No choice there due to FAT32's
filesize limitation anyway). Deffinatly seems to be an issue with Windows 7 x64 and 4GB+ RAM. Can transfer 20GB of small files (say 100Mbyte) no problems, transfer 1 20GB file and curruption.
In this day and age I am surprised this issue has not been corrected sooner. Many people are reporting the issue on the web (google searches). I use a lot of large image and video files and this bug is driving me nuts as I have to constantly be aware of
how I transport files around.