Windows Backup .... Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Anonymous
2009-01-31T10:20:27+00:00

I installed VISTA 64 last summer.

For the first few months I was able to do BACKUP FILES without a problem

Now when I try I get this error message

Windows Backup

File Backup could not save your automatic backup settings for thefollowing reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Please try again

I can still do a COMPLETE PC backup

I've had other issues with VISTA 64 you can see the resolutions ANSWERS beta at

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/c6677691-6bd2-452d-9995-c110c51d2702/

when I do a search on google with

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

I see that there are many with the same problem

ANY ideas and collaborations are welcome

:)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T19:48:12+00:00

Well this issue has been finally resolved thanks to 

MS SUPPORT engineer Della and her friends. Please see her reference below.

I must admit that this problem had dozens of people baffled for months.

So after asking for Della's permission to post it here I can say that this resolved it 100%

So, thanks to every one that was inviolved in this

Take care

g

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would apologies that we may not run the command prompt, as this is not commended and cannot resolve our issue.

After discussing it with my fellow with engineers and further researching on the internet, let us try the following steps for troubleshooting.

Backup registry keys:

  1. Click “Start” -> Under “Start Search” -> Type “Regedit” and press Enter
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache
  3. Right click on TaskCache and select export
  4. Save to a file on the desktop.

After that, please delete the WindowsBackup folder in the TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows.

Please try to the WINDOWS BACKUP files again.

This time, let us try to set the automatic file backup again. Please try to set the follow settings.

How often: weekly

What day: Monday

What time: 19:00

Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your convenience. I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Della Li

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-06T19:51:49+00:00

    Did you try creating another user in case your current user's profile has become corrupted?

    Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.  Try it first by not checking either box (Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems.  If it does, start by ticking both boxes, in any further rerun.

    Something like the System File Checker might help if you have System Files missing or corrupt.

    How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista (or 7)

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/#appliesto

    How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228#appliesto

    How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    After that lot it may be time to think about saving your valuable data and making a fresh start.  What recovery options come with your machine?  Is it the usual OEM stuff or are you lucky enough to have a Retail DVD?

    Here is some advanced procedures you can look at if you are happy with it.

    These two articles in the RegEdit Help are a good explanation of the process.

    To load a hive into the registry

    To unload a hive from the registry

    How to edit the registry offline using BartPE boot CD

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm

    Basically you would attempt to import your registry file into Windows Vista, or 7 system, using another operating system to do it for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-06T17:09:47+00:00

    Thanks for the info, Linney

    yes, I get the same error message even in safe mode i.e. the exprted copy of TaskCache on my desktop cannot be imported or merged back into the registry, with the same

    'Cannot import C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\TaskCache.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.'

    error message. The link you provided for vista scheduled tasks explains what all the standard default tasks are for, most of which I've had an error message for, telling me that the task is missing. However, there is no suggestion as to how to go about recreating the tasks. Given the recommended fix, and the fact that I made an export copy of TaskCache, I would have thought there must be a simple way to just put it back into the regisrty. As for security, I have access control turned off & only have one user with administrator rights, so don't think access permission is an issue. All I want to do it put the deleted WindowsBackup folder back into the registry and am not sure why this should be so hard when I have a ready copy of it to use. & that's before I even think about trying to fix the loss of ability to create restore points again . . .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-04T04:47:34+00:00

    Do you get the same errors if you try it from Safe Mode?

    Vista Advanced Boot Options (or 7)

    http://techblissonline.com/vista-advanced-boot-options/

    Have you looked at your System Restore problem if you create a new user and test with that?  Maybe they'll have better luck than your current user?

    See if you can make use of this to create all the missing Tasks?

    Description of the scheduled tasks in Windows Vista

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939039

    Use the Vista instructions in this to reset to default the security settings.

    This is something to try if your Access Permissions (and other Default Settings) have become corrupted.

    How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222/#appliesto

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-02-04T03:11:25+00:00

    I tried Della's fix, but it didn't work. Still not able to create a restore point. I've then opened up the task scheduler & have lots and lots of error messages relating to all sorts of scheduled tasks that have now been removed as a result of deleting the WindowsBackup folder from TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows, per the fix. A lot of these scheduled tasks that no longer work were not set by me, but by the system/software etc etc & I have no idea how to replicate them manually, or even what some of them do

    I did export a copy of TaskCache to my desktop before I deleted the WindowsBackup folder, as suggested above, but I cannot find a way of replacing it back in the registry. I have tried doubleclicking it, & also merging it, but keep getting the message -

    Cannot import C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\TaskCache.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

    Has anyone got any ideas how I can restore these entries to my registry ? I only started this because I can't create any restore points, and my previous restore points have been deleted, so I can't use that as an option. Now I still can't create restore points AND all my scheduled tasks have gone too. Please help !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments