Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Installed memory 4GB (3GB usable)

Anonymous
2009-11-05T13:43:36+00:00

I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64. In System Properties, Windows tells me I have 4Gb RAM but only 3Gb is usable, displayed in the following format:

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)

Previous to this installation, I had Vista Ultimate x64 installed and that always showed 4GB and all of it was usuable. What is it about Windows 7 that has changed this? If this is indeed a problem caused by BIOS settings, I have not altered them in any way so does this mean that Windows 7 changes the BIOS settings at the point of install?

I do not believe this to be related to some memory being allocated to my Graphics Card, it already has 512MB of dedicated memory. Why would Windows 7 assign it another 1GB of RAM, giving me a total of 1.5GB graphics memory? As I said, this was NEVER a problem on Vista Ultimate x64.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-16T03:11:56+00:00

Hello AshK86,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Answers Forums.

Can you list what model motherboard, processor and graphics card you are using?  The “Hardware or BIOS reserved” is pointing towards the type of motherboard you have.  I know you said you didn’t see this with Vista, but let’s make sure we rule it out just in case.

Regards,


Edgar

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-06T15:54:25+00:00

    I have a similar problem. 

    When I install 3 GB RAM it reports 3 GB available and the same is reported when I install 4 GB RAM???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-05-01T04:37:40+00:00

    After many trials , I finally thought of trying the easiest solution. Updating the Bios , and now everything is ok :) Try that aswell , maybe it will work . And thanks for the thread , helped me alot with process of elimination .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-19T21:04:56+00:00

    If you are already running a 64-bit os, you can just go to msconfig, boot, advance options and uncheck maximum memory, your problem is solved.

    Are you saying in W7 64 that it uses all your excess memory on your video card and your only solution is to have the exess memory usage or not at all.  What happens when your video card needs more memory and there is none? Or your system needs more memory and your video card is using it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments