My DLNA player cannot detect the DLNA server on my Win 7 PC using WMP 12.

Anonymous
2010-08-19T19:15:28+00:00

I have a hard-wired network.  I upgraded my PC to Win 7 64-bit.  My DLNA process stopped working, although it had worked great under Vista.  Nothing else in the network changed.  Primarily, I am just "pulling" from the PC using the DLNA device

My network router can "see" my Sony BDP, my Norton security can "see" it, too.  I have disabled Norton; I have configured everything on my PC, Norton, and network to be as open as possible.  Everything is fully trusted.

Today, I installed a trial version of "Mezzmo" DLNA server software, and EUREKA! The DLNA player works like a champ!  No other changes.

But, I want to use WMP 12 - what can be causing it not to see and communicate with the BDP S560 on Win 7?  If I look for a server on the player, none shows up.  Sony tells me is should work.  Is there a plug-in or update I should apply?  Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-31T02:21:38+00:00

Did you ever get this working?   I just got a Sony BDP-S570 blue-ray player with wireless, and it recognized my media library on my Windows7 64 bit machine immediately. All i ever did on my PC was in control panel, network and sharing center, choose homegroup and sharing options, choose homegroup and sharing options, and check the box to stream my pictures, music .....

I also went into Choose Media Streaming Options and did Allow All.

At one point my BD player would not list all the movies on my PC. I changed the library name (in the Advanced Media Streaming Options screen), rebooted the PC, waited 5 minutes and i was streaming movies again.

My BD player has firmware version M04.R.735. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2010-08-23T09:45:15+00:00

    did you uninstall Norton and run their uninstaller? before proceeding to

    anything else for trouble shooting, please do this.

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 23:55:39 +0000, LOE1 wrote:

    >

    >

    >Update!

    >

    >I have made the VM version of XP/WMP 11 work perfectly under Win 7 64-bit Ultimate.  The only problem with it, is that videos and photo slideshows are very slow.  Video audio is choppy, as if it's not able to keep up with the video.  Music, however, is perfect!

    >

    >I think this proves there is a problem with the Win 7 WMP 12 DLNA software/capabilities from the "pull" standpoint from a DMD.  I changed nothing, and the VM version of WMP 11 worked.

    >

    >What do you suggest?  Do you think this is a bug/configuration issue, or something else?

    >

    >Thanks.

    >

    >


    Barb Bowman

    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-23T18:26:29+00:00

    I uninstalled Norton, used the uninstaller, and left it off.  Still cannot see the WMP 12 DLNA server from the NDLA player.  I checked the Windows firewall settings and they are OK for sharing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2010-08-23T18:53:53+00:00

    according to THIS review

    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/299169/review/bdps560.html

    and THIS

    http://www.testfreaks.com/blu-ray-players/sony-bdp-s560/

    and a few others as well

    your player can't stream anything except still images/photos over the network

    the issue of even being able to use WMP12 to pull pictures off leads me to

    believe that WMP12 doesn't think it is DLNA compliant. Not sure what else to

    tell you. I'll see if I can get someone from Microsoft to look at this thread.

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:26:29 +0000, LOE1 wrote:

    >I uninstalled Norton, used the uninstaller, and left it off.  Still cannot see the WMP 12 DLNA server from the NDLA player.  I checked the Windows firewall settings and they are OK for sharing.


    Barb Bowman

    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-24T22:31:26+00:00

    LOE1, thank you very much for your feedback and I am sorry for the pain that your passing through. First of all, let me find out more first in order to understand better the scenario.

    • first of all, and forgive me if you already mention this, is the scenario failing because you cannot find the Win7 DMS on the network, or because you cannot stream the content?
    • If streaming is the problem, I would check if you are you part of a Home Group? When you installed your machine, did you choose to create or did you join to a home group? If yes, you need to make sure that your files are shared with the home group. Otherwise the Win7 DMS will not share those files out.
    • If the discoverability is the problem, can you try to discover your Win7 DMS from another PC running either Win7 or Win Vista?

    I'll look forward for your answers in order to work further for nailing down your issue.

    Thank you very much

    CCazang@MSFT

    PlayTo/UPnP Specilist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments