My DLNA player cannot detect the DLNA server on my Win 7 PC using WMP 12.

Anonymous
2010-08-19T19:15:28+00:00

I have a hard-wired network.  I upgraded my PC to Win 7 64-bit.  My DLNA process stopped working, although it had worked great under Vista.  Nothing else in the network changed.  Primarily, I am just "pulling" from the PC using the DLNA device

My network router can "see" my Sony BDP, my Norton security can "see" it, too.  I have disabled Norton; I have configured everything on my PC, Norton, and network to be as open as possible.  Everything is fully trusted.

Today, I installed a trial version of "Mezzmo" DLNA server software, and EUREKA! The DLNA player works like a champ!  No other changes.

But, I want to use WMP 12 - what can be causing it not to see and communicate with the BDP S560 on Win 7?  If I look for a server on the player, none shows up.  Sony tells me is should work.  Is there a plug-in or update I should apply?  Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-31T02:21:38+00:00

Did you ever get this working?   I just got a Sony BDP-S570 blue-ray player with wireless, and it recognized my media library on my Windows7 64 bit machine immediately. All i ever did on my PC was in control panel, network and sharing center, choose homegroup and sharing options, choose homegroup and sharing options, and check the box to stream my pictures, music .....

I also went into Choose Media Streaming Options and did Allow All.

At one point my BD player would not list all the movies on my PC. I changed the library name (in the Advanced Media Streaming Options screen), rebooted the PC, waited 5 minutes and i was streaming movies again.

My BD player has firmware version M04.R.735. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-16T23:44:52+00:00

    Just a quick FYI. i have the same problem with my win 7 64bit (ultimate) machine. my droid x would not list my 2 machines, it said no media servers exist and I know it worked with the last dlna device i had. I deleted my homegroup then recreated it and both my machines then showed in the media server list after that. Might not help you but it just worked for me a few mins ago so i figured i'd share the info

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-14T09:10:04+00:00

    LOE1,

    Sorry for coming back so late. I was OOF for a few days. Here is my guess on this: since you said firewall was off, the homegroup was off, and there is not other security software that may block the Win7 DMS, I might think the DMS gets itself in a bad state. I would ask you to do the following;

    • check if the DMS service is up and running. For doing that, open Task Manager, go to Processes tab and choose "Show processes from all users" than look in the list for something called wmpnetwk.exe. If you can see that, then the DMS is running, but something else may block him.
    • if you cannot see it, than the service is off, so it may silently crash or something. In the Task MAnager window, go to Services tab and try to find WMPNetworkSvc entry. See if status is running. If yes, than again, something may block the DMS from advertising itself on the network, or it may be in a zomby state.
    • In either case, go to Services tab, right click on WmpNetworkSVC entry and choose Stop the service. Wait to become stopped and than start it.
    • Open Event viewer window (type Event viewer in the Search bar on Start menu) and go to Windows Logs/System and look for any entries with source="Windows media player network sharing service". Since you re-started the service before, there should be some fresh entries there. please let me know what you get there.
    • if you may think Windows firewall is still on, open "windows firewall with advanced security" window. Click on Inbound on left pane, than on the right pane choose "new rule".  Choose Predefined in the "New inbound rule wizard" window, and select in the drop down list "Windows media player network sharing service". click next and select all the entries in the list at the next step, and click next button. Choose Allow connection on the next step and Finish. Now, try to see if it works.

    if everything is clear on all this, the only thing left to help me understand what is going on is to asking to gather traces. it may be a bug on our side that we could not find so far.

    thanks a lot

    Ccazang

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-13T19:01:57+00:00

    Any update on this topic?  I am still using the Mezzmo DLNA server on Win 7 and having no problems.  My DMS works great with it, but my free trial is about up.  Unless MS can find a solution to the WMP 12 issues on Win 7 and DLNA, I'll have to purchase the external product and forget about trying to use WMP 12.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-01T02:11:02+00:00

    Thanks for the info.  I don't have a guest account, just the admin and my own account, both administrators.

    I removed myself from the homegroup, but there was no difference.  I didn't change any other settings.  If the external software server is running, it is visible to the device, but WMP 12 is not visible no matter what.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments