My DLNA player cannot detect the DLNA server on my Win 7 PC using WMP 12.

Anonymous
2010-08-19T19:15:28+00:00

I have a hard-wired network.  I upgraded my PC to Win 7 64-bit.  My DLNA process stopped working, although it had worked great under Vista.  Nothing else in the network changed.  Primarily, I am just "pulling" from the PC using the DLNA device

My network router can "see" my Sony BDP, my Norton security can "see" it, too.  I have disabled Norton; I have configured everything on my PC, Norton, and network to be as open as possible.  Everything is fully trusted.

Today, I installed a trial version of "Mezzmo" DLNA server software, and EUREKA! The DLNA player works like a champ!  No other changes.

But, I want to use WMP 12 - what can be causing it not to see and communicate with the BDP S560 on Win 7?  If I look for a server on the player, none shows up.  Sony tells me is should work.  Is there a plug-in or update I should apply?  Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-31T02:21:38+00:00

Did you ever get this working?   I just got a Sony BDP-S570 blue-ray player with wireless, and it recognized my media library on my Windows7 64 bit machine immediately. All i ever did on my PC was in control panel, network and sharing center, choose homegroup and sharing options, choose homegroup and sharing options, and check the box to stream my pictures, music .....

I also went into Choose Media Streaming Options and did Allow All.

At one point my BD player would not list all the movies on my PC. I changed the library name (in the Advanced Media Streaming Options screen), rebooted the PC, waited 5 minutes and i was streaming movies again.

My BD player has firmware version M04.R.735. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-30T22:16:50+00:00

    Well, following on from my earlier post, I have solved this problem on my PC by conducting a clean reinstall of the OS - now it works seamlessly with all of my other devices. Looks like the initial install was the problem. So I suggest everyone try this and then report if the problem persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-30T16:44:27+00:00

    Thought I'd chime in with my little problem too.  I have 3 windows 7 (64 bit) machines and a Windows Home Server 2011 machine on the home network.  My DLNA capable Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray player used to be able to pull photos, music, and videos from any of those computers via the network.  Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to pull up photos on the Sony.  I haven't tried this for at least a couple of months, but yesterday the Sony could not pull up the subdirectories where my photos are kept from any of the computers.  I can still find and stream music and watch videos from the Sony, but no photos.  I have another Sony BDP-BX37 player which has the identical problem.

    I don't know if this is a problem with the Sony or with Windows 7 64-bit but I'm guessing it's Windows.  Any thoughts out there?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-10-24T12:27:48+00:00

    It's not in the WMP 12. It's something in the OS because my TV and ASUS can't see Windows 7 and vice versa. On the contrary if I run  AllShare on my PC it detects WMP 12 as an available device. So something's wrong when communicating outside of the box so I suspect it has something to do with the networking layer.

    Team Microsoft, are you reading this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-22T11:53:41+00:00

    Hmm, I have this exact same issue, i.e. my Windows 7-64 (by way of WM12) is not discoverable, but strangely it can see my other DLNA compliant devices. My network consists of a Samsung Galaxy s2, PS3, Maxtor 1TB Hard Drive, a Windows XP laptop and now the new Windows 7 laptop. I'm using a dual band wireless network consisting of an Apple Airport, a Belkin Modem, and a Dlink  ethernet bridge. Everything gets along just dandy - except the Windows 7 laptop. Now I'm a pretty switched on user, but for the love o god I can't get it's DLNA to work. However, it networks perfectly fine - i.e able to access shared folders and so forth.

    So Microsoft hear me out, there's a major glitch with the DLNA in WM12 - a fix would be rather nice!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments