My DLNA player cannot detect the DLNA server on my Win 7 PC using WMP 12.

Anonymous
2010-08-19T19:15:28+00:00

I have a hard-wired network.  I upgraded my PC to Win 7 64-bit.  My DLNA process stopped working, although it had worked great under Vista.  Nothing else in the network changed.  Primarily, I am just "pulling" from the PC using the DLNA device

My network router can "see" my Sony BDP, my Norton security can "see" it, too.  I have disabled Norton; I have configured everything on my PC, Norton, and network to be as open as possible.  Everything is fully trusted.

Today, I installed a trial version of "Mezzmo" DLNA server software, and EUREKA! The DLNA player works like a champ!  No other changes.

But, I want to use WMP 12 - what can be causing it not to see and communicate with the BDP S560 on Win 7?  If I look for a server on the player, none shows up.  Sony tells me is should work.  Is there a plug-in or update I should apply?  Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-31T02:21:38+00:00

Did you ever get this working?   I just got a Sony BDP-S570 blue-ray player with wireless, and it recognized my media library on my Windows7 64 bit machine immediately. All i ever did on my PC was in control panel, network and sharing center, choose homegroup and sharing options, choose homegroup and sharing options, and check the box to stream my pictures, music .....

I also went into Choose Media Streaming Options and did Allow All.

At one point my BD player would not list all the movies on my PC. I changed the library name (in the Advanced Media Streaming Options screen), rebooted the PC, waited 5 minutes and i was streaming movies again.

My BD player has firmware version M04.R.735. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-08-31T21:55:10+00:00

    Thanks for the reply LOE. This narrows down the problem a bit. I was hopping for you to have the other problem ( I could have help you much easier :)). However, if you are willing to work with me we will nail it down. Sorry for getting this back and forth, but I am not quite the expert on this side of the problem ;)

    I do have one more question: since you are part of a HG, do you have any knowledge of a GUEST account being enabled on your machine? This may trigger some of the problems that you have. And another question: if you remove yourself from the Home Group, is the DMS discovered by your device?

    Thanks a lot

    Ccazang

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-29T19:18:19+00:00

    It is #1.  When I use WMP 12, the DMS is not visible at all by the DLNA device.  If I bring up WMP 11 under XP Virtual Machine, then the WMP 11 DMS IS VISIBLE and I can see the files.  However that method is extremely slow and videos do not play well.  They stutter/stop and start.

    AND, if I use the external DMS software, everything works perfectly.  It is ONLY WMP 12 that cannot be seen.

    Another note:  When I have WMP 12 running, the library page actually shows me two other libraries - the Windows Media Center AND THE EXTERNAL DLNA SOFTWARE!  This implies that WMP 12 is doing its thing on the local PC, but is not broadcasting itself to the DLNA device.  Network settings and home group are both "wide open" at the moment.

    If register keys are messed up, and I cannot reinstall WMP 12, how can I fix them?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-27T08:03:35+00:00

    LOE,

    there are two different kind of issues that may happen:

    1. You do not discover your Win7 WMP DMS at all. it does not show up on your device's UI
    2. You do discover the Win7 on your device, but you cannot find media exposed there. (or you cannot access it)

    If 1), then something at the configuration level got messed up (some registry key migration did not happen properly). If 2), then the home group may need some special configuration to share out your music, video and pictures. 

    Which one is your issue.

    thx

    Ccazang

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-25T01:06:36+00:00

    Thank you, ccazang, for taking time to consider this issue.

    Yes, I am a member of a homegroup, that Win 7 created.  I am aware that "streaming from WMP 12" will not work for my DLNA certified Sony S570 BD player.  I only want to "pull" from my PC, and this device says it can do so from a certified DLNA server like WMP 12 - music, photos and videos.

    I am able to bring up a VM version of Win XP on my PC and it works!  BUT, IT IS VERY, VERY SLOW and skips, stutters with vidioes.

    Before I upgraded to Win 7 (from Vista), my PC and WMP 11 worked, also!  Since I upgraded to Win 7 64 bit Ultimate, it does not work.

    I have turned off all security including all firewalls temporarily and it does not work.

    However, I installed a third-party DLNA server software (Mezzmo) and it works perfectly, with all security running.  I prefer to use WMP 12.

    I suspect there is an issue with WMP 12 with regards to DLNA "pulling" from a DMD.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments