My DLNA player cannot detect the DLNA server on my Win 7 PC using WMP 12.

Anonymous
2010-08-19T19:15:28+00:00

I have a hard-wired network.  I upgraded my PC to Win 7 64-bit.  My DLNA process stopped working, although it had worked great under Vista.  Nothing else in the network changed.  Primarily, I am just "pulling" from the PC using the DLNA device

My network router can "see" my Sony BDP, my Norton security can "see" it, too.  I have disabled Norton; I have configured everything on my PC, Norton, and network to be as open as possible.  Everything is fully trusted.

Today, I installed a trial version of "Mezzmo" DLNA server software, and EUREKA! The DLNA player works like a champ!  No other changes.

But, I want to use WMP 12 - what can be causing it not to see and communicate with the BDP S560 on Win 7?  If I look for a server on the player, none shows up.  Sony tells me is should work.  Is there a plug-in or update I should apply?  Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-31T02:21:38+00:00

Did you ever get this working?   I just got a Sony BDP-S570 blue-ray player with wireless, and it recognized my media library on my Windows7 64 bit machine immediately. All i ever did on my PC was in control panel, network and sharing center, choose homegroup and sharing options, choose homegroup and sharing options, and check the box to stream my pictures, music .....

I also went into Choose Media Streaming Options and did Allow All.

At one point my BD player would not list all the movies on my PC. I changed the library name (in the Advanced Media Streaming Options screen), rebooted the PC, waited 5 minutes and i was streaming movies again.

My BD player has firmware version M04.R.735. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2010-08-23T09:44:03+00:00

    are you sure that everything is enabled for "allow control"? see

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/12/media-streaming-with-windows-7.aspx

    have you uninstalled Norton and run their uninstaller?

    is your network type set to home or work?

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:29:19 +0000, LOE1 wrote:

    >

    >

    >Thanks.

    >

    >Have you or do you know if anyone has actually used WMP 12 to PULL from in Windows 7?  I don't want to PUSH, only to PULL using my Sony S570 BDP device.  The BDP then plays the photos, music, and video located on my PC via the WMP 12 DLNA server.

    >

    >As indicated, the BDP can see another server I loaded in a test mode, but the WMP 12 server - set wide open - is totally invisible to the BDP.

    >

    >I may have to log a problem directly with MS if no one is using that feature.

    >

    >

    >

    >Thanks.

    >

    >


    Barb Bowman

    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-22T23:55:39+00:00

    Update!

    I have made the VM version of XP/WMP 11 work perfectly under Win 7 64-bit Ultimate.  The only problem with it, is that videos and photo slideshows are very slow.  Video audio is choppy, as if it's not able to keep up with the video.  Music, however, is perfect!

    I think this proves there is a problem with the Win 7 WMP 12 DLNA software/capabilities from the "pull" standpoint from a DMD.  I changed nothing, and the VM version of WMP 11 worked.

    What do you suggest?  Do you think this is a bug/configuration issue, or something else?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-22T20:29:19+00:00

    Thanks.

    Have you or do you know if anyone has actually used WMP 12 to PULL from in Windows 7?  I don't want to PUSH, only to PULL using my Sony S570 BDP device.  The BDP then plays the photos, music, and video located on my PC via the WMP 12 DLNA server.

    As indicated, the BDP can see another server I loaded in a test mode, but the WMP 12 server - set wide open - is totally invisible to the BDP. 

    I may have to log a problem directly with MS if no one is using that feature.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2010-08-22T12:08:00+00:00

    MS added the technologies used in W7 for PUSH (Play To) streaming. Windows Media

    Sharing should work the same way to PULL content from a device as it did in

    Vista. (as you know). True for DLNA 1.0 devices

    Play To (PUSH) requires DLNA 1.5. I do not think your BDP is 1.5, regardless of

    what some Sony outsourced support guy told you.

    I haven't tried any of the DLNA support from a VM. But I suspect that extra

    software is required to PUSH from Vista/XP to begin with.

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 21:15:00 +0000, LOE1 wrote:

    >

    >

    >OK, I gather that a DMR is a "renderer" which apparently is an DLNA-certified HDTV.

    >

    >Prior to upgrading to Windows 7, I used my DLNA-certified "DMD" device without any problem via Windows Media Player 11.  Now, for upgrading, I am apparently forced to go out and purchase external DLNA server software just to keep status quo.  I certainly don't want to spend $$$ on a new HDTV when the one I have now is wonderful.  But, not DLNA-capable.

    >

    >Is this the case, or is it possible to run WMP 11 in an XP virtual machine on my Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit PC and make it work that way?  I tried once, but to no avail, so possibly there's a trick to getting it to work?

    >

    >Thanks.


    Barb Bowman

    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments