File Previewers not working in Explorer

Anonymous
2009-11-12T16:07:39+00:00

I can't seem to "preview" document files in Explorer, most types anyway.

Image viewers still seem to work.

If I open the Preview pane, then select any .TXT, .DOC, or .XLS files, the Preview pane says:

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Windows TXT previewer."

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Word previewer."

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Excel previewer."

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

(Running Windows 7 Professional)


J_Mack

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-22T23:20:32+00:00

I found a solution that seems to have worked for me.  In Microsoft Word I went to:

Office Button -> Word Options -> Resources, and clicked on "Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics."  It took a while.  It found one installation issue as the very last test of 40 tests.  I closed Word and re-opened, and the previews are now working again.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-14T20:33:28+00:00

    I have the same issue on 9 of my Windows 7 Business machines.  if I open Excel 2007 to try to preview a word file it works, and similarly Word 2007 will preview an excel file, but neither ap will preview their own file type.

    I tried the solutions listed here to no avail, but I did find that Windows explorer's preview pane would preview either type of file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-01T16:22:17+00:00

    After much time, I finally found the solution:

    Go to word options, resources, add-in, and disable Microsoft live-in.

    You have to be an administrator to do this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-22T23:26:38+00:00

    This interface is silly.  I accidentally clicked on j_mack's post selecting "propose as answer."  I did not mean to do that.  I thought the prompt said "propose an answer."  (I have now proposed an answer in another article.)  I saw my mistake immediately but could find no way to undo it.  I can edit my own text here after-the-fact, but I can't recall an inadvertently and hastily clicked mistake as to proposed answers?  That's kinda dumb.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-22T22:56:52+00:00

    I have the same problem in Windows 7 RC 64-bit with Office 2007 Ultimate installed.  I am trying your SFC suggestion but am not optimistic.  I don't know when it began, but it was some time recently.  My system is well-maintained and up-to-date.

    Update: SFC is finished and found nothing wrong.  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."  The problem persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments