Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-16T03:23:10+00:00

    Did you try booting into Safe Mode?  F8 on startup (just before the Windows screen starts).  If you can get in you can then use System Restore to go back to before they stopped working.

    I am having windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. it was working smoothly until I installed Universal shield software by Everstrike, after the installation my PC restarted and I found my keyboard and mouse (both PS2) doesn't working. I checked them in my second OS Ubuntu they are working fine there.

    Its working till I can press F8 but in safemode it is not working. I tried last known configuration but still not working. I am not able to uninstall that software nor I can restore my sysytem.

    please some one help me.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-14T12:18:12+00:00

    This worked for me .Print first if possible

    1. 
    

            1.Install different mouse

    2. Use System Restore to revert computer to a time before offending update(s) were installed
    
    3. Go to Control Panel/System and Security/Windows Updates and amend preferences in dropdown list to “Download updates but let me choose which to install “
    
    4 . The available update(s )s can then be found including those uninstalled by System Restore in 2 above. Re install these one by one( by unticking all the others ) then check the original mouse and keyboard each time until the problem re occurs. Use System
    

    Restore to remove this update

    5. I found that **KB2529073** was the culprit
    
    1. Return to “ Windows Updates“ as in 3 above and tick the offending update and­ also the box “Hide this Update “ Ensure it disappears. Re set preferences to Automatic Updates

    Good luck !

    This worked for me also. But, I just left the "new" mouse plugged in and using it instead of doing the update uninstalls. THANKS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-08T10:18:46+00:00

    Worked for me too! Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-16T18:50:24+00:00

    If you have a open PCI slot get a USB card and install it worked for me just waiting now till MicroSoft  fixes problem  http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=PCI++USB+card&image12.x=18&image12.y=15

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments