Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-16T18:54:00+00:00

    same problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-11T03:12:25+00:00

    (having same problem) no idea what the heck to do :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-08T03:17:49+00:00

    Well Obviously you did NOT have the same problem because in order to get to "Start" you have to have logged in..that's the problem everyone is having one or 2 strokes on the keys, and you get "incorrect password" and the keys don't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-30T23:49:13+00:00

    So, Riddle me this?

    How do i deal with this problem if i have a motherboard that does not have a ps2 port on their motherboard?

    My other problem is that all my data is on a striped raid configuration and probably not that easy to access. Most  of my data has been backed up, but i do have some work data that i need.

    Thanks for any help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments