Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-19T21:20:26+00:00

    I have a wireless keyboard Microsoft product.  On Feb. 19, 2018 regular update shut down my keyboard.  Why???????????

    I had to do a system restore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T18:32:01+00:00

    I have tried to reboot in Safe mode too.  My keyboard won't even react to pressing F8.

    there must be a way to circumvent the keyboard, including function key and mouse not working. Does any body have an answer. Can Microsoft suggest an answer.

    Remember there are NO keys or mouse that work. Recovery disks do not work. Can the bios be automatically set to use cd or usb if harddrive is dead?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-12T18:31:27+00:00

    my keyboard and mouse don't work after I restart windows 7 sometimes. I am still trying to figure out if it is due to the windows update or not. I just did a system restore to july 13, 2017 so we will see if the problem comes back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-12T20:08:55+00:00

    I have had this same problem several times. For each one I simply restarted my computer. This time is different.was using my new k830. I then used the USB I was using prior to that one. Then I plugged in my old PS2 keyboard. During this time I had tried every possible step from system restore to last known, everything to flashing my bios. I was able to get Windows 7 to begin a couple of times. Then it would ask for my password & again, no keyboard. It works fine in CMOS. Didn't do a thing in Windows. So, to make a long story short, my DVD drive has been lost in Windows 7. Again, it works during CMOS then I'm not able to use my start up disc.Please help. Someone? Anyone?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments