error code 0x80780119 not enough disk space to create shadow copy

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:17:58+00:00

When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-24T01:28:54+00:00

A Workaround Without Repartitioning:

When trying to make a system image of Windows 7, I got error 0x80780119.  After searching this thread (plus others), I found my 100 MB System Reserved partition had grown a large USN journal.  I assigned it drive letter F:.

Fsutil usn queryjournal F:

Then I ran this command to clear and disable the USN journal on my System Reserved partition:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:

This freed 48 MB.  The USN journal on my System Reserved partition remained disabled after a reboot, which I verified by re-running the query.  Subsequently, I was able to make a system image without error.

Look here for details on FSUtil: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(WS.10).aspx

Mancer, MCITP-EA

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-03T14:37:14+00:00

You should be able to find your answer here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce


MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-14T04:19:34+00:00

    Mancer, after 3 days of trying to find a solution to this issue, yours worked. Thanks for taking the time to post feed back on this, great to see.

    Regards, Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-20T11:41:18+00:00

    Mancer,

    This worked perfectly! Thanks very much for you help! :)

    • Justin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-23T00:02:47+00:00

    I'm sorry I guess I should have been more clear, I thought the error code would explain it all. This is not a disk space or bad disk problem. I've tried to back up to several different media (Iomega Rev Drive, 2 seperate hard drives and my network server) and I have gotten the same error. All of the drives have over 500Gb of free space. I am doing the exact same thing on my wifes PC and have not encountered this problem. I'm using backup and restore with windows 7. Now if a just do a backup of files and folders it works fine. I only have the problem when I select create a system image. There are two ways to create a system image, one is by directly selecting that task on the backup and restore main page. The other way is when you select it as part of the scheduling procedure. Either way gives the same error.This is the whole error message.

    "There is not enough space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location.  Make sure that, for all volumes to be backup up, the minimum required disk space for shadow copy creation is available.  This applies to both the back up storage destination and volumes included in the back up.  Minimum requirement:  For volumes less than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 50 megabytes of free space.  For volumes more than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 320 megabytes of free space.  Recommended:  At least 1 gigabyte of free disk space on each volume if volume size is more than 1 gigabyte (0x80780119)"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments