error code 0x80780119 not enough disk space to create shadow copy

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:17:58+00:00

When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-24T01:28:54+00:00

A Workaround Without Repartitioning:

When trying to make a system image of Windows 7, I got error 0x80780119.  After searching this thread (plus others), I found my 100 MB System Reserved partition had grown a large USN journal.  I assigned it drive letter F:.

Fsutil usn queryjournal F:

Then I ran this command to clear and disable the USN journal on my System Reserved partition:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:

This freed 48 MB.  The USN journal on my System Reserved partition remained disabled after a reboot, which I verified by re-running the query.  Subsequently, I was able to make a system image without error.

Look here for details on FSUtil: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(WS.10).aspx

Mancer, MCITP-EA

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-03T14:37:14+00:00

You should be able to find your answer here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce


MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-21T21:51:33+00:00

    Thanks joe576.  My computer system is a home build Windows 7 Ultimate and is not a Dell. 

    The procedure from gelfer22 is stated for a Windows 8 system and is for Dell.

    Will this procedure also work for a home build Windows 7 Ultimate system?  If not, then what will work?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-21T21:28:51+00:00

    gelfer22 replied on

    When error code #80780119 occurs on a Dell machine running Windows 8(not enough disk space to create a shadow copy), the fix is listed below. The reason is Dell w8 includes a 500mb hidden recovery partition labeled WINRETOOLS.

    1. Go to http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html and download Partition Wizard. Install and open.
    2. Find the 500mb partition called WINRETOOLS
    3. Right-click, and click move/resize, and reduce the size to 490.00mb
    4. Apply the changes
    5. Open Windows 7 File Recovery, and Create System Image

    *This works as a workaround instead of needing to use Acronis or Dell Backup and Recovery software

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-21T20:30:07+00:00

    I have this issue: There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location (0x80780119)  in Windows 7 Ultimate, when trying to create a system Image backup.  I ran Disk Management and found no issue with available disk space on all volumes as follows:

    Hard Drive C: capacity is 931.41 GB and there is 731.04 GB Free Space and is healthy

    Local Drive E: capacity is 465.76 GB and there is 353.45 GB Free Space and is healthy

    Destination Drive is G: capacity is 931.51 GB and there is 808.92 GB Free Space and is healthy

    System Reserved capacity is 100 MB and there is 69MB Free Space and is healthy

    Even though Disk Management indicates there is sufficient space in the System Reserve, I performed the procedure suggested by Mancer (to delete any USN Journal in the System Reserve partition) and it didn't help. 

    I also performed the procedure suggested by Chelique13: (Type cmd in the search box in the start menu) enter the following line in the cmd.exe window:  bcdboot c:\windows /s c: 

    and it didn't resolve the issue either.

    I also ran a complete Check Disk function for files and sectors and it did not find any issue.

    So I don't know what the problem is.  Any suggestion as to resolve this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments