Why is the MS Edge homepage filled with clickbait articles and ads?

Anonymous
2023-08-31T11:07:45+00:00

The MS Edge browser opens up with a wave of trash clickbait and spammy ads. I understand you can edit the topics that appear on the browser tab when you open the new browser, which is effective, until it turns itself back on after a while. The articles are blatant clickbait, a lot of them even written like this: Th.is art!CL.e is Cl.ic.kbA.!t. The ads also disguise themselves as articles. The articles themselves have low quality, unverifiable content, many of which do not even have a "report ad / article" button. It's been a pathetic experience on this browser, which is shocking for a MS product. Please inform me how can we remove these spammy ads and clickbait entirely, and if not, let me know so I can action it accordingly.

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 11

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Virginia M 42,075 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2023-08-31T12:56:45+00:00

Hello, I’m Virginia, a fellow user like yourself.

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing problems. May I ask which Windows 10/11 build are you running - 21H2 or 22H2?

I would suggest using an adblocker browser extension like AdGuard, Ghostery &/or Malwarebytes. These should block the scam type ads if not all ads.

You can also report these via the feedback app - Windows key + F key if there’s no report button.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-07T04:11:30+00:00

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-07T03:15:39+00:00

    I will be doing the same thing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-16T17:25:06+00:00

    That would get a phonecall from me to support. Where are you seeing the ads? Start menu? Windows 10 or 11?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-03T15:53:56+00:00

    Google is just as bad when you delete its cookies. Everything you have deleted, reappears again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments